Buying advice

EME

www.lumishore.com
Having now decided which boat to buy...a Cranchi Endurance 39 and being happy with 2 specific boats, I need some advise on how much I should offer.

Having never bought a boat before is it usual to start negotiating aat 20/10/5 % less? I read so many inferences on big discounts I don't want to overpay............nor embarrass myself and the broker.

All help appreciated ...who do people reccomend as insurance brokers? Any reccomended good surveyors in France?

Thanks

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I dont think theres any hard and fast rules. I thought I'd bought my boat for about 7% under the asking price. But then latter told some one else had bid higher. Depends how much you want it and how much those selling, want rid.
IMHO a surveyor is one of those things you pay for but never see any benifit from. Unless theres a bloody great hole in the bottom that you've missed. Then he's important.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

alpha

Visit site
I disagree about the Surveyor. A lot depends upon your own ability and technique when it comes to making a credible but low offer and justifying it - that is, 'selling' your deal to the vendor! Without going into the psychology of buying and selling and when this will and will not work, my tactic was as follows: Offer below the asking price, by about 10%. When you have established your credentials as a 'serious' buyer, have the survey done. The vendor will, at this stage, 'feel' and 'believe' he has made a sale - he wants to hold onto this emotion. Then, with the survey done, find something 'wrong' (in my case, fuel tanks which weren't a major problem, but were sufficiently questionable to be on the 'want to replace' list).

Then, offer less than your previous bid, giving a specific and plausible justification, but with the carrot attached that it's a 'cash on the table' deal to be concluded within forty-eight hours or the offer lapses. I got my boat for about 17% less than asking price, using this tactic. Remember, the buyer holds all the cards - you can always go back with a higher offer and buy the boat. You have nothing to lose by doing tough deal (unless you really upset the vendor or broker).

My surveyor saved me about four times what he charged, but only because I used the material he gave me in a constructive way.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Do your homework. ie look at price guides and similar boat prices. Try to get info on actual selling prices. Offer 20% below asking and don't go above what you think is your already established limit. What has embarrassment got to do with it?

andyball

Visit site
Thoroughly agree with Arthur Wood: to hell with embarassment when there's cash involved. It would suit the broker/seller very nicely to imply that you might look foolish by offering "too little"......but you'd be a fool to pay more than you need to.

EME

www.lumishore.com
Thanks for the information. I'm going to go with a surveyor anyway as I know nothing about boats , not that I'd miss a hole in the bottom but that piece of mind is important.

No..finding a surveyor in Sardinia !!

EME

www.lumishore.com
Done all of that, boat a little cheaper than others I've seen but as good if not better quality. Now finding a surveyor in Sardinia ! Embarrasment/Offense is, in my opinion, one of the great barriers to an effective sale.....but let's ignore psychology , I prefer boats.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Embarrassment/offense

Agreed, but they shouldn't be barriers and I suspect they are more prevalent in the UK (perhaps Japan too) than in most other places. Good luck. It's a beautiful boat.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
ALWAYS use a surveyor, NEVER choose one recomended by the Broker, and I've just offered 33% of the asking because it's all I thought she was worth. I didn't get her but who knows what will happen, owners changing circumstances etc. The only certainty is that if I hadn't made any offer I wouldn't stand a chance.

John

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Fly out a surveyor from the UK. I know it'll cost but peace of mind is worth it. I take it you are buying a foreign owned boat in which case you must obtain all original paperwork including the Builders Certificate (confirming Hull Identification Number and engine nos), first invoice (confirming VAT paid) and any bills of sale confirming changes of ownership(so that you can prove title). If the vendor is unable or unwilling to supply these documents do not proceed with the sale.
Is the broker handling the sale UK or foreign based and how reputable is he? Ask yourself whether you are happy giving £100k+ to somebody you dont know and trusting him to hand it over to the Vendor
Have you asked around the boatyard in which the boat is moored whether there are any outstanding debts on the boat?