Buying Abroad

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
No, I don't want to buy a "broad", I have one of those already!

Seriously though, has anyone had experience of purchasing a boat in Europe, as opposed to the UK. Like the car situation - is there any price differential on new boats. I fancy an inshore cruiser 21-24ft in length.

Any ideas?

At the end of the game, the King and the Pawn go back in the same box.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
We had a good look around France and Greece before finally settling on buying in the UK and shipping out. There are various VAT scams in Greece which makes them cheap but could not see any price differencial advantages anywhere else. Of course loads of hastle if there are any paperwork anomalies.
The best kept boats I have since discovered are the Italians who seem to be obsessed with polishing and cleaning.
David

SteveT

Visit site
Funnily enough i have just purchased (i hope) a 24ft boat in Menorca. The process appears to be very simple
I found new boat prices to be slightly cheaper than the UK and when then taking into account shipping out costs 1.5% saving on VAT the savings add up. Second hand boats seem to be more expensive then add the paperwork issues proof of ownership outstanding debt etc then again it adds up.

The things which were different, hardly any room to negotiate on price, all i got was a guarantee of todays price not next yers , when delivery will occur, could be worthless could be up to 5%. Trade in was excellent (i had a boat out there already) but they will not take the trade in boat as a deposit, this becomes the final payment, and deposit was high 30%.
Hving said all that, once we had agreed prices an invoice was raised showing the details including trade in value and deposit and thats it. I hopefully get a boat in June 2003 and will pay the outstanding balance then.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
What boat did you buy Steve?
Interesting thought you have prevoked about VAT. In Corsica it's 10.8% (a special concession by the French to keep the locals from revolting) Assuming it applies to boats, what a great way of saving a quick 7%.
David

stewart

Visit site
Haven't bought a boat out there (unless you count the tender) but if it's like anything else, in Spain at least, then if it's second hand I'd expect the normal terms will be part through the books and the rest cash!!!

G

Yer kinda like that with properties I hear.

"The Med is calling me"