Buying a rowing boat in the Staines area

Gavi

Visit site
I would like to buy a rowing boat for pootling about in my immediate vacinity, mainly messing around, going to see friends who are a whole 200m up river (but it is a 10 minute walk and even longer late at night due to the park being shut), and going to the pub.

Can anyone advise me:

- where should I go to get one in this part of The Thames (I have decided on GRP)
- what license will I have to pay
- are they light enough to easily lift out of the water
- am I being daft?

All thoughts welcomed.

Gavi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
new/used ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really bothered about age. I romantically liked the idea of an old wooden boat until someone told me they need a bit more TLC than I probably have time for.

Brayman

Visit site
You're right Byron, they did (do?) I had one years ago and it was the most unstable thing I have ever been afloat in. With two people in it the freeboard was about 3 inches!
When I test rowed it from new in Oxford I nearly sunk it because they had forgotten to put the bung in - they made a note to remember that in future. When I put an outboard on with me in it it sunk. I sold it very soon afterwards and made a profit.

Bajansailor

Visit site

Geoffs

Visit site
Can't answer all your questions, but 'Am I being daft?' No not at all, I used to do this when I lived just above Penton Hook, a fair row, but good exercise up to Staines.

Mine was certainly light enough to lift out, came from somewhere in Wales. Can't remember where it was years ago.

TrueBlue

Visit site
There's a bloke selling made to order 10 and 12ft. dinghies at incredible prices on eBay here:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...52103%26fvi%3D1

It seems to be a workshop providing training for disadvantaged folk (my guess), anyway they look terrific value

Otherwise their are a lot on eBay at the moment; take your pick. I've bought several and not been disappointed; you just have to be a bit sensible when making your choice.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for some great ideas. I had £100 in mind but have now seen a lovely job for £700ish. BUT....

Would a pedalo be stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind one or two just for fun. How the hell would I get them home from NE England tho'

Gavi

Visit site
Another layer of honesty needed here:

i do not intend to be sober at some ends of the journey. So stability is relevant.

Gavi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you just want to go 200 m up the river any little GRP dinghy would do - pram or pointy bow.
But if you want to enjoy rowing, and go longer distances (which I am sure you will - it is quite addictive) you want to have a good pulling (as in rowing) skiff.
Here is a nice one at http://www.wolstenholmedesign.com/sprite.htm

While here are various rowing boat kits from Fyne Boat Kits at http://www.fyneboatkits.com/trolleyed/4/index.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wolsten is a lovely boat. I would like to buy something that becomes a part of the house. Can one name a rowing boat?

Gavi

Visit site
Thank you to all for your advice.

I started out with ideas of getting a £100 boat but have now progressed to hunting around for something, er, a bit pricier and prettier that I will keep for a long time. Mainly warm thanks to those who posted links to some lovely skiffs.

I've just returned from the dear old pub, where one of the chaps shares business interests with Mark Edwards in Richmond. I suspect this will end up being an expensive pint. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Odd, though, that nobody took the pedalo idea seriously, as I'd have loved to have rafted one of thos next to Oudrageous!

Gavi

Visit site
Got one! ... news of launch to follow

... and I just thought: will this give me the right to complain about ROBOs going too fast?