Buying a heat exchanger from ASAP Supplies and reclaiming the VAT

ruvane

www.techno-laser.com
Hi guys,

I'm going to be in the UK in the near future and was thinking of buying a heat exchanger from ASAP to bring back with me. This is outside the EU.

If I want to reclaim the VAT, what do I need to do? Is it simply a question of having a genuine VAT receipt or does the company need to provide me with a special form as well? I know that I need to go to the VAT office at Luton, but it's the process before this that I need to find out about.

Any help appreciated.

Ruvane.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I cannot answer your question directly, but why don't you contact ASAP direct? I'm sure they will have the suitable forms/procedures to deal with this as they do send parts worldwide. I've always found them very helpful.

Jungle Jim

Visit site
This may help:

https://www.gov.uk/.../vat-notice...in.../vat-notice-7041-tax-free-shopping-in-the-uk

if you google "reclaiming vat at Heathrow" you get more specific instructions for what happens when you leave the country (I assume Luton is similar). ASAP will need to play ball for this to happen, I suggest contacting them in advance.

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about the scheme straight from the gov website

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ail-exports/vat-notice-704-vat-retail-exports

Last edited:

Piers

www.playdeau.com
If ASAP ship ex-EU they will not charge VAT. If shipped within the EU they have to charge VAT and it will be up to you to go through the boring process of reclaiming the VAT. Easier to have it shipped by ASAP to your ex-EU location.

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
I have done it a few times when flying Gatwick to Turkey. The retailer must be in the scheme for VAT refunds, so ask ASAP. When you buy the heat exchanger, both you and the retailer fill in form (VAT 407) at the point of sale. At the airport, take the item and the form to the Customs office - they may ask you to open the package before stamping the form. Once it's stamped, post it back to ASAP and they will refund the VAT to you.

macd

Visit site
Easier to have it shipped by ASAP to your ex-EU location.

Except that then taxes and import duty would probably be due at the country of importation*. Although the OP would no doubt wish to declare that whichever option he adopts...;)

* Parts for boats in transit can be exempt, but the OP would need actually to be in transit to be eligible. The use of an agent/translator/notary is also often required, at considerable expense.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Except that then taxes and import duty would probably be due at the country of importation*. Although the OP would no doubt wish to declare that whichever option he adopts...;)

* Parts for boats in transit can be exempt, but the OP would need actually to be in transit to be eligible. The use of an agent/translator/notary is also often required, at considerable expense.

No comment....

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have done it a few times when flying Gatwick to Turkey. The retailer must be in the scheme for VAT refunds, so ask ASAP. When you buy the heat exchanger, both you and the retailer fill in form (VAT 407) at the point of sale. At the airport, take the item and the form to the Customs office - they may ask you to open the package before stamping the form. Once it's stamped, post it back to ASAP and they will refund the VAT to you.

That's the exact procedure I went through last time I was in the UK.

The only problem is that some retailers don't refund the VAT once you have returned to you country of residence.

In South Africa you get your refund at the point of departure straight away once inspected by C & E with only a supplier VAT invoice.