Buying a boat in France.

G

I hope some one can help me. I am looking at buying a boat in france and want to find out if Tax has been paid on the boat. The boat has had a good few owners so it would be very hard to trace back to the first owner. The boat has its registration pappers in france, so is there any easy way of finding out about the Tax ?, or how does registration work in france.

Col

Visit site
The onus is on you to prove tax paid, If the owner can't show you a VAT invoice,Assume it hasn't been paid ( a proper invoice, not micky mouse! )

G

I recently purchased a boat in Ouistreham and had exactly the same question. As it will be up to you to prove that VAT has been paid so it is important to get it right. I checked with The RYA and this was the response...

'I have spoken to Customs and Excise on your behalf, and they have clarified the position with regard to VAT. As you cannot register the boat in France unless the VAT has been paid, the fact that it was registered proves that the VAT was paid. The boat will need to be de registered off the French register to enable you to register in the UK. However, you should ensure that you have either a copy of the French registration documents, showing that the VAT was paid. Alternatively, if the
seller is prepared to send you the original (cancelled) French registration
documents, (rather than a copy) then this may be more acceptable. Customs
officials do not normally like copies.

Given that the French registration proves that the VAT was paid, you should
not need to contact the original manufacturer for a receipt.'

I obtained a certificate of radiation from French registration mentioning that VAT had been paid.

I hope this helps

rlw

Visit site
All boats under French flag are registered, kind of a flag certificate. I believe that it can only be registered if there is proof that VAT has been paid.

If buying from a dealer make sure the contract states TTC which is as much as VAT included

Rob

Cloven

Visit site
Can anyone confirm that this situation also applies to British Registered boats?

No it does not. A UK registered boat based in France cannot be on the French register but a boat owned by a UK citizen might be on the French register if the owner has not reregistered it.

My boat is based in France but is UK regsitered undet the SSR scheme. This is the case for almost all of my British sailing friends in France with the exception of those who are resident in France in which case their boats have to be French registered. The registration should match the residency of the owner.

Last edited: