Buying a boat for greece

Jmitchell

Visit site
Hi. Anyone considered buying a boat to use in Greece. My wife and I are retiring to kefalonia and buying property to obtain a golden visa but looking for advice regarding boating in Greece I have a 12m trawler yacht I’ve had for years, but don’t know if it’s vat paid or not, it was just a cash sale and no mention of vat paid or not. I have read on an earlier post a lot of mentions about vat, will this be a problem. Would it be simpler to sell my boat here in uk and buy one in Greece hopefully not as we were looking forward to taking a couple of months sailing her out in the summer. Any adivise on this will be much appreciated.

Tranona

Visit site
No, not practical to take a UK boat into the EU as an EU resident (which you will be) as you will have to pay VAT at the very least. So, best to sell it and buy a boat with sound provenance in Greece. There is plenty of choice, particularly in the 30-40' sailing boat sector. You will need to look carefully at where you will keep the boat as Kefalonia is not over blessed with permanent moorings compared, say with Lefkas or Corfu. Great place for sailing, though.

BTW while getting a boat out there by sea is a romantic idea it is a lot more demanding than you imagine and 2 months is tight and you would miss all the delightful places to explore on the way.

dunedin

Visit site
No, not practical to take a UK boat into the EU as an EU resident (which you will be) as you will have to pay VAT at the very least. So, best to sell it and buy a boat with sound provenance in Greece. There is plenty of choice, particularly in the 30-40' sailing boat sector. You will need to look carefully at where you will keep the boat as Kefalonia is not over blessed with permanent moorings compared, say with Lefkas or Corfu. Great place for sailing, though.

BTW while getting a boat out there by sea is a romantic idea it is a lot more demanding than you imagine and 2 months is tight and you would miss all the delightful places to explore on the way.
Tranona, aren’t there exemptions that apply who are selling up and moving permanently to the EU?
Certainly I know somebody who did this and took their yacht with them to Spain recently, without any VAT or CE issues.
Boat delivered by truck so all above board and fully documented transit.

Jmitchell

Visit site
Hi thanks for the info. I thought there might be issues. My brother in law is from Kefalonia and keeps his boat in the small marina at end of runway and can get me a berth there even though quite expensive 3k euro for a 8m boat. It had been free for the last 10 years as no one run the marina but has been taken over now he has been telling me that a company has offered for the argostoli marina so might be good to get in there before it fills up as it’s a pretty dodgy place to keep a boat at the minute

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, there is transfer of residence relief possible in the EU. My concern would be whether Greece would recognise that given the difficulties UK owners of older boats have had there. Worth exploring though but would be wise to get confirmation in advance if arriving by sea as I can imagine the port police in Argostoli being a bit stumped.

Road or sea transport would not be feasible all the way there although by sea to Preveza or Patras is a possibility and that might be easier as it would require a clearing agent which would probably ease the formalities. Expensive though and a leisurely 3 months cruise as originally suggested would be more enjoyable though.

Hooligan

Visit site
Totally agree with @Tranona. Greece is a bit of a free for all re the rules and how they are enforced. The only thing you might consider is to actually pay the VAT in Greece and reflag it - it will have to be reflagged. Because the boat is older you may find that it is cheaper and less stressful than selling and buying with the fees involved etc etc. As most things are a negotiation in Greece if you are lucky and with your residency you may be able to negotiate a decent deal. Re marinas the marina in Argostoli was still looking unused and uncared for this Summer. I suspect that it will take quite a while after a deal is done to make it inhabitable but it will be good for the area when or if it happens.

Ps 3k for an 8m boat is sadly not that expensive anymore!!

Davy_S

Visit site
Regarding the little harbour near the airport, it may be worth having a word with Grafoz, although i have not seen him post for a while, but he helped a few people on here to moor up at the harbour whilst picking friends up.