buy an insurance write-off?

Guy

Visit site
A boat yard is selling a Bavaria 38. Damaged. After looking at the pictures I'd guess it was an insurance write-off. Asking £30K. The yard said they didn't know how the damage occured, but the mast step is slightly damaged, the keel was knocked off, there is "considerable hull damage". There is a crack from deck to water line round about starboard quarter. The boat sunk. So water damage too.
A second hand bavaria can command £85 K, I believe, (in good condition)
Would you buy the above described boat?
How much do you think it would cost to repair on a DIY basis?
Is it even repairable?
What would you pay for it? It's not worth £30K is it?

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I think I might be able to tell you what happened to the boat. Have a look in the latest Yachting Monthly in the news section. There's a picture of a Bav 38 that had a contretemps with the Brambles. The boat's name is mentioned. Also have a look at the name of the boat in the Raymarine advert in the same magazine. Anything familiar ? Yup the same boat. Don't touch it with a barge pole unless you get a total and thorough survey done to get the full extent of the damage.

duncan

Visit site
if yo uare serious get a proffessional firm to quote for the work in full (and yes you wil have to pay them to do it) - then work out afterwards if you can DIY some of them.

In calculating the price some account will have been taken - you don't get something for nothing.