Busy Bank Holiday on the river

DogsBody

Visit site
So what happened to the weather this bank holiday then eh? For once it was warm and sunny, ideal boating weather.

Thought we'd make the most of it and have a few days away on the boat and seeing as the ATYC rally was being held down river decided we'd go up river to Henley or perhaps Shiplake for the weekend.

Of course, being the early risers that we are, we were under way by about 11:30 Saturday morning, heading for our first stop of the day, Bray lock. Coming past Monkey Island, we see some boats ahead, not surprising really as its a busy stretch of the river and a sunny day.

25082007040.jpg

Then we realise that its actually the queue for the lock /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

25082007042.jpg

Well, what did we expect on a sunny Bank Holiday Saturday at Bray lock - its always busy there. I had a count up while drifting around waiting and there were at least a dozen boats ahead of us and about as many behind - the lock only fits three boats at a time! I think for those behind us it must have made sense to tie up on the visitor moorings at Bray Marina while in the queue.

Two hours later we eventually got through. Apparently there was some trouble with the electrics at the lock which was causing a delay, not quite sure why because I believe it was to do with the out of hours public power. Anyway, despite the electrics at this lock being relatively new (part of the refurbishment over last winter), it seems the EA had no spare parts available and weren't expecting to be able get any until at least Tuesday...Hate to think how long it might take to get parts for some of the older locks.

Anyway, having eventually made it past Bray lock, time was getting on and there was the distinct likelihood of there being no mooring space at Henley even if we did get there. Que Boatone to comment on general lack of moorings spoiling people's trips. Fortunately, a call on the VHF found that some friends of ours had found some space at Clivedon (a lovely part of the river) and we were lucky enough to squeeze in under a tree there ourselves.

27082007046.jpg

Being the lazy types we are, we stayed there all weekend although we did undertake the hike up the hill to Clivedon House to admire the view. Forgot to take a picture of the house but did get one of Ms DogsBody (she's got her hand behind her to hold onto the tree as she was worried about sliding down the slope) and Unwinder in the background below.

27082007044.jpg

Not quite the weekend we had planned but it was just good to be away on the boat enjoying some summer sun at last. Just hope it lasts for the MDL BBQ this weekend, not holding out much hope though as its traditional to have a thunderstorm during that event!

DogsBody.

DogsBody

Visit site
Don't I know it. We did have to pop out for some supplies before getting under way though, otherwise we might have been on the river for 11 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Move off at 8am., at 12pm moor up for lunch or a nap. By 1pm all the boats are looking for a berth. Move off and go until 4pm. Choose a berth at leisure, watch all the bad timers hunt for a berth at 5pm onwards. You can shop while they struggle.
In short move while others are thinking about moving and stop when others are thinking of stopping.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I wish !!!

That may have been the way it used to be but not any longer. This is the first year we have spent weekdays on the river during school holiday time. Even so, weekdays are marginally easier. Weekends? Becoming difficult to find a slot unless you hover around waiting in the hope someone might decide to move on.
Best tactic I've found is to raft up alongside someone if possible and keep a sharp eye open for someone else deciding to leave.

If its any consolation Dogsbody, we were around an hour ahead of you at Bray and it was already choked so we ran back down to Windsor sharpish and found a slot where we stayed for the rest of the weekend.

I have some nice pics of big gaps between boats to post later /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dmst

Visit site
Glad that you had a good week end. in reference to Bray and Boveney they are two of the smallest locks(in terms of width they are both just under 18 foot) on the lower Thames but have 3 mariners between them. If ever there was a case for enlarging them both your picture illustrates it. The work they did on improving the upper and lower moorings for Bray and the upper moorings at Boveney were only playing with the problem. Your picture is typical of some of the delays we have suffered on any reasonably sunny week-end since we started boating on the Thames 4 years ago.

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: boatone

Our friends were also about an hour ahead of us - we could see them in the queue some 10 boats ahead of us. They suggested going down river boat I'd wanted to go up river so poo pooed the idea. Didn't think it a good idea to change my mind after they'd waited an hour at the lock before we joined the queue.

Sounds like I just missed you.

DogsBody.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
A little bird told me ...........

.......thet the EA are considering introducing an automated message service via a tannoy at Bray Lock.

The message will be:

" Thank you for choosing to pass through beautiful Bray Lock.
You are held in a queue as all our operators are busy dealing with boats that got here before you did. Please rest assured that we appreciate your patience and its no use turning round cos theres a queue at Boveny as well." /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: small locks

Dennis55,

Yes those two locks are really too small for the volume of traffic they handle - I was told in excess of 300 boats went through Bray lock on that Saturday. Really annoys me that they spent so much money on the lock moorings and at Bray in particular the downstream side, it doesn't look like they have actually expanded the moorings at all despite overrunning by several months.

At least we now have out of hours power at both Bray and Bovney (if they can find enough spare parts to keep it working).

We used to regularly have to wait an hour or so at Bray but thanks to the declining traffic its not usually quite so bad anymore, still a log jam though when compared to the large lock above it (Boulters).

DogsBody.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

It would be interesting to understand the historical reasons why Bray and Boveney are so small. The locks above and below are so much bigger although someone told me that the original Romney lock was much smaller than it is now.

Its actually quite diffficult to see how they could easily - and quickly - enlarge Bray and Boveney. Lengthening would presumably be a more practical method than widening although widening might permit major work to be achieved before the lock would need to be taken out of service for the rest of the work.
Either way we could expect a long period of closure. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ianc1200

Visit site

"the original Romney lock was much smaller than it is now."

Certainly was, can remember really good queues at Romney in mid 60's when it was a smaller lock and old style unpowered gates, but few problems at Jack Dyer's Old Windsor, and as we moored Straight Across then at Nicholls Boatyard above Bell Weir, watching the similar queues at the old Bell Weir lock.

Bring back Thames Water, they knew how to rebuild a lock!

(About 10 years ago, didn't the EA, and Robin Newlands in particular, have a scheme to have some gates in the river bed which would turn the whole of the lower waiting areas od Boverny and Bray into vast locks? I can remember Robin - then in charge of the lower half of the river - describing the scheme several times, and assume this was the project which would have followed Hambleden if the Goverment hadn't taken away the money raised by increasing the licence fees at the time).

IanC

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

[ QUOTE ]
About 10 years ago, didn't the EA, and Robin Newlands in particular, have a scheme to have some gates in the river bed which would turn the whole of the lower waiting areas od Boverny and Bray into vast locks? I can remember Robin - then in charge of the lower half of the river - describing the scheme several times, and assume this was the project which would have followed Hambleden if the Goverment hadn't taken away the money raised by increasing the licence fees at the time).
IanC

[/ QUOTE ]

I have certainly heard anecdotal comment on something like that and it would make sense in terms of using the existing infrastructure without major groundworks.

As for the one off increase in licence fees declared to be for specific projects which never happened (also hearsay as it was before I first became an annual licence holder) there were many who believed, and still do, that it was tantamount to obtaining money by false pretences. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

apollo

Visit site
That'll teach you for not going to the ATYC which was a great weekend!

If you had been awake at Sat 07:30 you could have joined us as we passed Bray going downstream.

Bray Lock is the main reason we changed moorings, was fed up of going home early on a sun afternoon to beat the rush. But coming in for the winter!!

Last weekend was first time through Bray this year, have to be honest could not see the difference on the moorings, same length as before, what a complete waste of money!

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Apollo

I thought there was space for one perhaps two more boats on the upstream moorings but agree that the downstream ones (where there is usually the bigger queue) don't appear to be any longer at all.

So where did all the money go? It certainly wasn't on quality electronics!

hastylady

Visit site

Dogsboat, take a tip from me - left Friday night, went through Bray, Boulters and Cookham before 7pm as no queues. Left Cookham 9.30ish Saturday morning and spent a pleasant weekend up at Sonning.

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Hastylady

Great idea but would struggle to get to Bray anywhere near that time Friday night - got the M25 to contend with. Time we get there all the locks are on manual, well Bray should be electric if its working...

Brayman

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Left Cookham 9.30ish Saturday morning and spent a pleasant weekend up at Sonning.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought I saw Hasty Lady at Pangbourne yesterday - ohmygosh, I'm turning into Beryl /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

apollo

Visit site

pleasant and peaceful that is until I woke you up Weds morning!

Would have stopped if I'd smelt bacon cooking!

rr_123

Visit site
Re: Hastylady

- got the M25 to contend with...

I've been under it loads of times without problems (c;

mind you the assistant locky shut the gates on me on the way up through Bell Weir on Saturday (with only one boat in the lock), and dissapeared like a bat out of hell at knocking off time on the way back. He's the boss of the lock i s'pose!

R