Burnham Week

FullCircle

Visit site
Well, Full Circle is entered in Burnham Week, Class 6 again.
I know that CliveG is entered, not sure if Class 5 or 6.

Anyone else?

Would like to have a Forum Sub-Event during the week sometime if possible, whether thats Crew or Boat based, just be good to hook up.

We usually seek Crew on the odd day or two, send me a PM if you are interested. We are definitely NOT competitive.........

http://burnhamweek.org.uk/

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]
We are definitely NOT competitive.........

[/ QUOTE ]Oh... I don't know about that.... last year you were definitely trying to drink more beer than me.... I thought that was quite competitive of you.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CliveG

Visit site
I have entered Class 6 as well.

I only have one crew at the moment although her mother or father may come along on the odd days.

My crew could be my secret weapon.
She is crewing in the national 420 squad this year and regularly wins even though her boat is not the fastest.

Other crew welcome.

FullCircle

Visit site
Essentially, you will be denied the use of your GPS. By paper chart planning a pre set course, you will calculate your total distance travelled, including all tidal drift, and usually it has to be done in a set time, achieving an average speed. Your prediction is submitted.
The closest boat to the prediction is the winner. Its not as easy as it sounds.....

muckypup

Visit site
So is this a practical exercise, or do you sit down with charts and say the course is 17.554Nm and the closest one to what the judge has calculated wins?

I can't get down to Burnham for both weekends of Burnham week, but what would you say is the better weekend? the first weekend with the regatta, or the last weekend with the fireworks?

S.

FullCircle

Visit site
The fireworks are good, and can be seen clearly from any of the 4 clubs, but (and I am biased here) best viewed from the magnificent terrac or balcony of the Royal Corinthian.
Enter Burnham Week, and you will get wristbands for you and your Crew which gain entrance to the 4 clubs freely all week. Without a wristband, you will be denied entry, as gatecrashers are many and regular.

You will of course have to go out and do the course on your boat...... I will find out the detail this morning by ringing our Cruising Captain. Its all good fun, and is an excellent opportunity to meet loads of MOBO owners at once, which will greatly assist the speed of sifting them for further social or avoiding like the plague.

FullCircle

Visit site
You, Sir, should be in Class 5 with a boat like that. Class 6 will afford little publicity as it is last over the line and first back over the line......

DRANNIE

Visit site
I might be interested although tides and limited access have limited sailing so far this season. I would have to get Grayling over from Maylandsea. My only race experience has been the RTI and the cowes chaos afterwards. Whats the chances of an over night mooring etc.

Secondly, any idea the smallest boats in class 6?

ta

Subject to the above and whether I can find crew I might be PM'ing people for a ride.

FullCircle

Visit site
Smallest boats in last years class 6 were:
Ming Ming - singlehanded Junk rig Corribee 21 - Roger Taylor had just got it back from the Jester Challenge.
Greensleeves- 18 goot Old Gaffer, Singlehanded by Roy Hart.
GK24 Dangerous Moonlight, 3 crew, average 76 or 77.
Seven Isles, Hunter 272 or Horizon, cant remember, Husband and Wife crew in their 60s or 70s.

Moorings available at Rice & Cole (01621 782063) or Burnham Yacht harbour. Let me know, I may be able to sort that out for you.
There are some Squibs which make the journey from Stone or Marconi Sailing Clubs.

Class 6 is for Families, is inshore river courses of about 2-2.5 hours and starts last at 1100, and usually finishes in front of the other classes. The weekends see about 10-12 boats start, and the midweek usually 5-8 boats so the start line is nt crowded. There are a load of people who do not race usually and therefore most people try not to stuff each other on the start line, which is nice.

Or you can come and crew on Full Circle for a day and see how you get on.
I think CliveG and possibly Robyn will want Crew too.

Above all, its fun and not to be taken seriously, unless you look like winning. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DRANNIE

Visit site
22ft should be ok then /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif In very light airs I'm probably reasonably quick. I'll talk to my sister, b'inlaw & SWMBO to see if I can muster enough bodies. I'd probably look at doing a weekend as a whole week might be tricky to swing with work committments.

I would definately be interested in crewing the odd day, I'll PM you my details for the days you want extra rail ballast. I promise to come equipped with beers.

Thanks

FullCircle

Visit site
Just spoke to Rice and Cole, who are getting back to me with a price.
They have confirmed that they have space available for at least 3 boats under 27 foot, probably a tenner a night including water taxi.

Also, looks like Full Circle may be continuing Friday and Saturday without owners on board. To be confirmed, just needs the right volunteers.....

FullCircle

Visit site
DRANNIE,
if you do enter, do so before 29th July for a discount, and if we can find another boat to enter, the second one gets in free. (Shere the spoils).

It would be terrific if you can do it.
I am a bit worried that you say your boat is quick. Totally against the rules, being quick. Greensleeves is awaesome in Light airs, as it is 18 foot long with an 18 foot bowsprit or similar.

FullCircle

Visit site
muckypup,
I have just had it confirmed that it is as I said above, except that you have to set the throtlle as you start....... and not touch it again until you finish. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
So 30 knots up the river will be OK until you have to round a mark......

DRANNIE

Visit site
speed is based on the premise it weighs sod all and handles like a big dingy. The E-boat class rules have lot about sealing the lift keel and filling all the storage with foam just in case. I don't fancy a rebuild so if its windy self preservation will mean a slow one. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif