Bukh exhaust elbow

Visit site
We need to change our exhaust elbow due to a nasty crack appearing after some prolonged motoring late last season.

Should I go for a original Bukh replacement I think they are cast iron or do I try a stainless steel version I have seen available on the net.

Any advice or experience appreciated.

many thanks

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
BUKH exhaust

I would go for a stainless elbow. Search ebay and it comes up with some only a little more than the cast iron item..
I have found BUKH version lasts about 5 years. I have been able to lengthen this by coating the inside with epoxy after meticulous cleaning by about 2 years.
There has been lots of past discussionon this - Google it and you will see!

cimo

Visit site
Any advice or experience appreciated.

replaced mine recently (two cracks lenghtwise). I went for the bukh part as I didn't have time to mess around. Don't know the full history & so can't say how long its going to last me, but i may well take the most cost effective approach next time depending on how long I get (5years would be good - I'd be very happy with >7). I Have read mixed reports re: the ss versions - carbon content of weld can lead to weak points I understand.
keep us informed?
rgds
c

VicMallows

Visit site
I fitted a S/S elbow to my BUKH20 around 14yrs ago and it still looks in excellent condition. Prior to that I had got through 2 BUKH originals in 10yrs. However I've also heard bad reports. All down to design/quality of course, but how you can tell in advance is anyone's guess.

Mine came from John Cutler at Thornham...who himself admitted problems with an ealier version. No idea if he still recommends them or prefers the safety and profit on the original BUKH part <grin>.

Another idea for a cheap solution is to make one up from standard galvanised- iron screwed plumbing fittings.

Vic

Last edited: