BST a question

Rich_S2

Visit site
While adding on the usual hour looking at my tide tables and seeing the sun out the window my mind drifted to the dark dreary days of winter when I go home from work in the dark.

Why do we still put the clocks back??

peterb

Visit site
Wrong question. Why do we put them forward?

Timing comes from the sun. Midday (noon) should be 12 o'clock, and when the sun is at its highest. To make up for the 'lost' hour, simply do everything an hour earlier.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I think we're supposed to call it Daylight Saving Time in accordance with the rest of Europe. If we didnt put our clocks forward, it would get light at about 03.30 and we would have less of a long summer evening. I know which I prefer
The real question is why we persist in putting the clocks back in winter - I hate the early dark evenings. Something to do with keeping a bunch of Scottish crofters happy, apparently

G

There is nothing to stop Scotland being an hour adrift from England. Many countries have more than one time zone; some big ones have many.
When I asked a particular member of Parliament about this he replied that some of his constituents had to cross the border each day to go to work. Pathetic!

halcyon

Visit site
Before the the railways arrived, nearly every major town had it's own local time.

Just think of the fun you could have.

Brian