BSS rant again - borin but gets it orf my chest

martin

Visit site
Hi,

Wots with this %^&*())))_()**^&^% BSS lot.

Bought boat last year had BSS inpection and got failed on almost everything..ignored failure and demanded license...recieved one. Wierd I thought!

This year.recieve "no license for you letter" from EA..but good news... its all changed now er ...sorry revised...so boat should pass.. Great I think.. New inpector takes a peek.. some of old stuff fails plus new stuff never mentioned before also fails... things like clips and writting on new pipes.. oh yes and Mercruiser fuel filters!!!!!!!!!!! My head herts...when is someone going to stop these idjuts ?

old common sense mandatories like holding tank etc apparently no longer mandatory? Well great...thank god i didn't waste (no pun intended) 2K on that last year!

as my 4 year old daughter says...there blimin aren't they dad!

BarryH

Visit site
I know what your up against, in put my boat "in " for inspection and got told that all thr systems, fuel electrical etc, were basically a death trap, yet when i had the boat surveyed before i purchased it the serveyor gave it all a clean bill of health. The long and short of it. I did'nt even bother to get it licenced for the thames, pity really because it is a lovely boating river, it worked out cheaper to buy a small boat with an outboard to potter up and down in.

G

Hows this one for a bss good idea, as you all may know I am an engineer, job was to change flexi fuel pipes for test, engines volvo 165 40B's, put them on, owner goes to sea, hence no top end speed loss of revs no power etc.
This was down to boatyard making up pipes from hoses with all the fancy number and specs on, what they forgot was the bore size this one must have been fit for a British seagull or next doors lawnmower.

Paul js.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Even sillier, those pipes didn't need changing. If you read the BSS carefully the pipes only have to be changed to the ones with the right writing as and when the old ones fail. Problem is some of the BSS Inspectors don't understand this. Just another sample of BSS stupidity.

ô¿ô

G

Yep your'e absolutely right Byron, especially as they cause more problems, worked on P 415 which had work carried out by local marina, sharnt say which one but the steel pipes were't even fitted back correctly just left dangling in the bilges, now thats a real problem due to vibration, walking on them whils't in the engine areas, when will it all end, IMHO just another moneymaking option for the trade.

Paul js.

Medskipper

Visit site
You should all do what I have done! take your boats off the Thames! down to the estury and beyond! no need for the BSS down there! It saved me over five hundred quid a year and the moorings are better value in many places except the south coast marinas! The joke is that you can still come up the Thames for a cruise in the upper reaches for a holiday because they want your visitors fee but you dont need a BSS certificate!

Barry