Broom 37 Continental

zaria123

Visit site
Hi Folks
I'm a bit of a novice to motorboats (have been used to sail boats). I have been looking for a spacious boat with pref aft cabin, for fair weather coastal cruising. And something on the more economical (6/7 knots kind of thing) side rather than performance.
I've seen a Broom 37 Continental listed as a Coastal / Inland cruiser, but fitted with a single 80hp perkins 4236.
A friend of mine has a C-Kip with an 80hp engine and has extensively travelled along the coast.
Would the Broom do the same ok?
Thanks in advance
(Photo for reference)

Attachments

• broom-37-continental-mkii-52852_1e.jpg
    broom-37-continental-mkii-52852_1e.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16

Greg2

Visit site
The Continental was designed to undertake sea passages and with the European waterways in mind but they typically had twin 145hp Perkins diesels. Not heard of one with a single engine but at 80hp it should be capable of punching a tide but it will not get beyond hull speed. The boat itself should be perfectly capable assuming it was fitted out with seagoing in mind.

Ferris

Visit site
We have a Continental 37 with a single 4236 which is based inland, albeit used on large inland lakes where it can get quite rough. It’s a great inland cruiser but I think it would be quite limited offshore. Max speed is about 7-8kts and they roll like bejesus in a beam sea - you’ve no steadying effect here like your sailboat. Obviously not impossible to use at sea, there was one owner who circumnavigated Ireland in the past couple of years with a twin engine boat but at displacement speeds and another single engined 37 which crossed the Irish Sea and English Channel to get to the French canals but I think they’re easier boats to do it in to be honest. Another point is that broom/aquafibre moulded some of these hulls for inland waterway use (usually for hire fleets) with less hull reinforcement than the seagoing versions which might need to be checked.

Parabordi

Visit site
Hi Folks
I'm a bit of a novice to motorboats (have been used to sail boats). I have been looking for a spacious boat with pref aft cabin, for fair weather coastal cruising. And something on the more economical (6/7 knots kind of thing) side rather than performance.
I've seen a Broom 37 Continental listed as a Coastal / Inland cruiser, but fitted with a single 80hp perkins 4236.
A friend of mine has a C-Kip with an 80hp engine and has extensively travelled along the coast.
Would the Broom do the same ok?
Thanks in advance
(Photo for reference)
There are lots of them around with the twin Perkins, I would hold out for one of those. I have a newer Crown. With a single 80hp it would be painfully slow and if you are coastal and it gets rough you need to be able to pick up the speed and get out of it.

Ferris

Visit site
Crown 37 is a much better boat layout wise and a better, more modern built boat and quite a bit younger too. If you can get a Volvo engined boat all the better but they are rare. The HT6354s (Perkins) are potentially a parts nightmare. Scavanger oil pumps and contra pistons are no longer available for example and, anecdotally, there have been quite a number of engine fires with them.