Brokerage Commission

G

Dear All,

First posting so please be gentle with me!

I have heard different commissions being paid for motor boat brokerage and was looking to see if there is a universal figure that is sensible, do most people give exclusive mandates for selling or give them to several brokers?

Boats in question - Sunseeker - Fairline - Princess.

Would really appreciate feedback.

Thanks for your help.
nickster

byron

RIP
Visit site
Over a certain value the figure seems to be 6%. Personally I think its a mistake to instruct too many Brokers as your boat ends up appearing everywhere and psychologically looks as if it is difficult to sell bearing in mind that almost the same Punters are doing the rounds of all the Brokers. Pick a good Broker near where the boat is, give him say 6 weeks, then move further afield with another good Broker.

ô¿ô

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Nickster, the standard rate is 8% + VAT. With most brokers, you should be able to negotiate 6% + VAT for sole agency. Some brokers advertise a rate of 5% + VAT but you wonder how much effort they're going to put into selling your boat
Just as important as the rate is the broker himself and, particularly, how active he is going to be on your behalf. Personally, I think its best to go with a broker who advertises well, has a good website and specializes in your type of boat. Ask around for reccomendations or post a thread on this site. I also think its worthwile putting the boat in the brokers marina especially if he's offering some sort of deal. Its much easier for a broker to sell a boat if its outside his front door

stewart

Visit site
I believe that standard commission rate is an arm and a leg (plus VAT) though with good negotiation I have heard reports of people only paying either an arm OR a leg, though I have to say that these sort of discounts haven't been confirmed. Maybe if it's exclusive you might get away with just a pound of flesh.

G

I know commercials are frowned upon, but check out boatmatch.com. We charge 2% plus VAT and an optional contract service from £500 plus VAT. This is not just a web site listing service but a brokerage service. We employ professional brokers and are successfully selling both power and sail boats at all values.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Spill the beans

Go on then, who sold the Nimbus and wot you going to get now?

ChrisW

Visit site
Hi and welcome to the Forum,

what the other members have said is right. But out here in Mallorca comission can be as high as 10% plus VAT. You are not saying what you are selling. Also try an Ad in Boats & Yachts and Yachtworld. 90% of all my enquiries ( I work in a brokerage firm) come from these two sources. Another place maybe www.boatshop24.com. They automatically translate your listing into 11 languages. I have only been using this portal for a little while but response has been good.

If I can help you in any other way let me know.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Multi listings

The RYA do a good info pack which gives info on some of the problems that can occour when a boat is with many brokers. There is always a lead broker and after that there can be all sorts of scraps about who earns the commission and how much. I viewed a boat which had three brokers all at different prices, the boat is under offer with one and still for sale with the other two. Chaos.

ps welcome to the site.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
G

thanks everyone,

you have been most helpful, i am just about to post a new question which i hope again you can help me / you on.

nick

peterg

Visit site
Re: Spill the beans

t'was thru Ancasta at Mercury Yacht Harbour and dealt with very efficiently I must say.

not sure what we're doing just now as we might be going to move house so this will have to be sorted first then another boat found.....still fancy a Broom though!