Brixham Heritage Race

DR007

Visit site
Hello everyone, is anyone going to be at the Brixham Heritage weekend at the end of this month? I'll be attending for the first time and although a small boat among many larger it would be good to meet anyone from the forum. I do not have all the details but registration is on Friday the 26th between 5 & 7 pm on board the Vigilance. There will be dinner at the Yacht club and then a briefing at 10 am on Saturday before a series of races around Torbay. The King's Cup in which some of the old sailing trawlers including Leader will be taking part will be a spectacular event of the day. Prize presentations will take place on the Saturday evening. It should I am told be a rather jolly affair. I hope to get some photographs in between sailing singlehandedly as usual. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
All the best, Kevin

yachtie8

Visit site
Yes I should be going down for it.
It is a fantastic day, especially if it is pretty windly and the sight of 4 or 5 trawlers charging around the bay is awesome to say the least.
Last year I sailed on Provident, which is owned and operated by Trinity Sailing - www.trinitysailing.co.uk - had a fantastic day, great boat, great crew! See you all there!

deborahann

Visit site
well we were there the other week, but next trip we will be going the other way from Plymouth. took this last year...

aprilmay_holiday_026.sized.jpg

have a good time

mclark

www.white-heather-nobby.com
Oh the good old Vig. I remember her in Peel, Isle of Man about 10 years ago when Ken Harris still had her. WHAT a man. He sailed her back singlehanded from Stranrar to Peel and brought her into the harbour all on his own ( well over 60 years old at the time) - no fuss - no excitement. Ken is an amazing man - he had the Vig for over 40 years and on one occasion I understand, fitted a new greenheart keel to Vig - WHILST AFLOAT! or rather between tides, floating Vig over the top of the carefully positioned keel and over the pre-drilled bolt holes!! I have no idea how he did it.

I understand he now has a little 6 ton Hilliard and I hope to see him in Peel this summer - he is a man I have the greatest respect for - I hope the story of the Vig tells his story too because his story is almost more interesting.

Mike

mkpbyrne

Visit site
hi kevin, I've taken part in the kings cup for the last 4 years, but alas this year is going to be quiet, I'm not going!!!!
i usually sail on keewaydin,came second for the past 2 years!!
however shes not taking part this year and unfortunately neither is pilgrim or kena-jackeranda so it will be just the boats of trinity: provi. leader and the home favorite vigi.
however the dinner at the prize giving is usually good as are the fireworks, specially if seen from the Town Pontoon.
on a down side ive always thought it bad form that the marina wont offer their facilities to visiting boats during the race.
but enjoy and have a safe race.
mick b

DR007

Visit site
Thanks for your responses, I have an old friend sailing on Leader this year, he and I have sailed many miles together including an epic in the Sporadhes Islands in the Aegean, when I was there working. All the best, Kevin

julia99

Visit site
Hello. Just to let you know that Kenya Jacaranda will be doing her utmost to make it to the 2006 heritage race - I have just spent the morning on board helping to prepare her for the trip: she is leaving Tilbury in the morning (weather permitting)and hopefully meeting up with Pioneer at Shoreham this weekend before continuing west. After last years disappointment (a dodgey engine and a run in with a length of fishing net off Eastbourne) believe you me, if we can get her there, we will.

Going now so see you in Brixham.

mkpbyrne

Visit site
hi julesy, great to hear it i had great crack with the crew the last time she came down.
is mike cloy traveling with you? if so tell him hi from me!
unfortinually i wont be there this year (as no boat)
best of luck
mickb

julia99

Visit site
Hi Mick. Mike says hello - I mentioned your name regarding these Brixham posts when I spoke to him this morning and he asked me to pass on his regards. KJ left Tilbury this morning but due to the rotten weather (and the fact that she is a somewhat fragile old lady) Mike has taken her into the Medway; she will be in Chatham until the storms pass. Needless to say the chaps on board are itching to get sailing. Unfortunately she wont make Shoreham for this weekend and apprently neither will Pioneer.

If you wanted to sail, and KJ does make it to Brixham, it may be worth giving Mike a call to see if there are any spaces on race day. I wont give his mobile number out in 'public' but if you need it, let me know and I will forward it to you.

Ta ta
Julia

mkpbyrne

Visit site
hi julia, tell mike hi.
the weather has passed over here yesterday, so i recon by sat. night you should see an improvement!! tell mike to take a leaf from pauls book, hang everything with good reefs in and go for it!!!! (hell know what i mean!!) just have some ear plugs ready.
il love to be on board for the race but ive other issues, namely my own boat to pay for, shes in dry dock for the next year, so i have to work every hour god sends to keep my head above water!!!!
regards to all
mick

Other threads that may be of interest