British or greek registration

Davy_S

Visit site
I am hoping to take my boat down to Greece next year, the boat will live there permanently so will we. The question is how will we register, at the moment its ssr registered here. Will we have to Greek register, but still fly our ensign as we are British citizens. Can we sail under the 6months transit log and then change the register to Greek. Anyone down that way know the setup?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Shakey

The People\'s Republic Of South Yorkshire
Visit site
I worked on flotilla holidays in Greece last year, you see loads of ex-pats' boats wearing their original flag, the only yachts that seem to be Greek registered are the flotilla boats. The important thing is to have all your boat papers in good order 'cos the Port Police can be quite strict over any irregularities. I suppose you could re-register as Greek but I don't know if it would be worth the hassle.

If you seriously intend living there, then I suggest a Greek language course sooner rather than later! Once you get off the tourist track you'll find very few people speak English.

<hr width=100% size=1>At the end of the day - Sunset.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Will we have to Greek register, but still fly our ensign as we are British citizens.

No - if you register your boat in Greece you will have to fly the Greek ensign. The ensign shows where the boat is registered - not the nationality of the crew.

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

Davy_S

Visit site
So it sounds like it would benefit us to register the boat Greek, fly the Greek ensign and when we sail in Greek waters, probably get less paper checking ect We will not be living aboard permanently,just using during summer and then into marina for winter layup.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
It might - but get some lingo too!

Apart from English, I speak fluent French & Dutch (lots of foreign postings) and reasonable Spanish & German. This gets me through most of Europe - apart from Greece!

Greek bureaucracy (pocket Napoleons) can come down on you like a ton of bricks. The more "trouble" you're in - the more their language skills deteriorate.

I know it's a beautiful part of the Med, but personally, I keep well clear of the place.

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

Davy_S

Visit site
Yes unfortunately we know what bureaucracy is like, we have been visiting the isles for over 20 yrs. I married the MRs No 2 there, and the translations were a nightmare. Fortunately SHMBO speaks a little Greek, and we have good friends there, but they are non boaty! Thanks for the advice, all is apreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
The situation is very fluid because of the changes over the past couple of months.
If you are Brtish flagged, SSR and have boat insurance written in Greek, I would 'ignorantly busk' until asked to fill up papers and then pay with a smile.

I lasted more than a year, in 2000/1, before their system asked anything of me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
We've 'lasted' four years and intend to stay. Our boat is Greek registered as we have a commercial licence, and it is still very difficult to get non Greek flagged boats recognised as professional.

There are a lot of advantages to being Greek flagged but I don't know if you will be able to register with a Greek flag if you are not actually living here - we had to prove our residency with rent book, utility bills, tax papers etc. All the Brit boats grumble about having to pay transit logo or whatever, which I know nothing about, but you rarely pay anything in port dues.

A few words of Greek, given with a smile and courtesy, work wonders on the Port Police. Remember they don't want to have to log your travels any more than you want to report to them - it is a cumbersome task they are lumbered with and grumpy foreigners don't make it easy for them.

<hr width=100% size=1>Melody McKay Burton
Yacht Valentine, Greece

Davy_S

Visit site
Thanks for the info. Yes we will be living there in our own property so hopefuly we should have no problem to register as Greek boat (non comercial) as we will have Greek tax number, property tax paid papers, ect.

<hr width=100% size=1>