Bringing a boat from Norway to the med

TSailors

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for all your feedback. Indeed the location is yet unknown, as the boat. To be purchased and then leisurely brought back from there. So I am unable to provide much more information right now. Regards.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
If he has not bought it then he is looking at starting south sometime August at best on what will be for a boat of the size he mentions about 4 weeks sailing to get to Gib then he has another 3 weeks or more of Med sailing to get to his destination, all doable providing the boat is serviceable. I made no allowance for weather but he could expect quite a bit of motoring against adverse winds and certainly a week or more waiting for weather to pass and a window for his biscay crossing. Should he be thinking marina hopping then the timescale increases significantly. It will depend on the boat and how he decides to sail it.
Three weeks from Gib to Greece is good going and would be non stop.

There are many many places worth stopping between Gib and Greece. I could easily spend three years doing it.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

There are many many places worth stopping between Gib and Greece. I could easily spend three years doing it.
Palma, Sardinia, Malta all for provisions and fuel touch and go, he wants to get to Greece but yes lots of places to see in between as well as the Islands.

capnsensible

Visit site

12 to 14 days for Gib to Corfu ish. Around 1400nm. I took 15 on a Gibsea 96 a while back and that included a couple of days in Malta refueling, revictualing and beer!

A cruise over an extra couple of weeks would be nice though. Some great pit stops on other places on the way.

TSailors

Visit site
12 to 14 days for Gib to Corfu ish. Around 1400nm. I took 15 on a Gibsea 96 a while back and that included a couple of days in Malta refueling, revictualing and beer!

A cruise over an extra couple of weeks would be nice though. Some great pit stops on other places on the way.
Sounds lovely - how does one find these good places? Would Navily help?

capnsensible

Visit site
I had to Google navily! Sounds good, much more up to date than pilot books. Although they were always my go to source of information for planning various trips across the Meditteranean.

There are various routes, depends how much time you have. You could always buy a boat in Spain!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tranona

Visit site
The Med is just about the most popular and written about cruising area in the world, so no shortage of information of which Navily is one. Starting from N Europe it is common (as I suggested earlier) to take as much as a year along the north and west coast - France, S Coast of UK, Ireland, Spain and Portugal then another year for the coasts and Islands of Spain, France, more islands, Italy, Adriatic then Greece.

It really depends on what your objectives are and how much time you have. also there are distinct differences in style of sailing and cruising depending on the area. In general terms the western end is busier and more expensive and the east less developed, probably cheaper and more places to live on board and be independent.

Probably the best thing to do before taking the plunge and buying a boat (which is a major expense and a project) is to charter in a couple of areas - Greece Turkey Croatia and Spain are probably the easiest - to get a feel for what it is like. This will give you a good idea what sort of boat would suit and how to equip it. The French canal route is popular, but hs constraints on size of boat, particularly draft. To do it justice is 3-4 months and of course you miss out on going round the western coast.

PlanB

Visit site
A small point among all the others, but most insurers require you to be clear of Biscay by the end of September, and some impose crew numbers/experience conditions for Biscay.

cpedw

Visit site
There's also the Improbable Voyage route from North Sea to Black Sea via Rhine and Danube. As told by Tristan Jones when the Iron Curtain was still in place. There's some doubt if he really did make it but I enjoyed the read. No idea if it's a possibility now. Perhaps it goes a bit close to Ukraine for comfort.