Brightlingsea with young children

Catherinen

Visit site
We are planning to head for Brightlingsea and the surrounding area from Pin Mill for our 10 day holiday at the beginning of August. We've only explored the Orwell, Stour and Walton backwaters so far so I would like to acclimatize the rest of the crew to slightly longer passages. (Crew = husband and 2.5 and 5.5 year old children). We sail a long keeler (1.6m draught) so can't sit in the mud so I'd be grateful of suggestions for places to go which will please the children. Anchorages/mooring buoys with beaches, places for crabbing, playgrounds, safe places to swim from the boat or practise rowing?

Also, where in the area has a god supermarket walking distance from a marina, anchorage, etc? We'll need a serious re-victual half way through!

Thanks,
Catherine

chinita

Visit site
Brightlingsea should be fine. HM staff will put you on pontoon then dinghy in from there (practice rowing all over the creek!). Great crabbing, ferry to Osea and East Mersea, chippy on the hard, pub with food and garden, yacht club, outdoor swimming pool, play areas, Tesco & Co-oP about 15 mins walk from water.

Should keep kids happy for a day or two.

stevebrassett

Visit site
Agree with the last poster.

Bradwell Marina will also give enough water for you. You will need to watch the way in and out, though, as the channel is shallow. Not a lot for kids, although there are walks along the sea walls, and beaches along there.

There is an anchorage next to Osea island, further up the Blackwater, from which you can land on the beaches. The island is privately owned, though, so I wouldn't stray far from the high water mark.

Maldon has got loads of shops, pubs, and playgrounds, etc. Not sure where you would moor, though - it is too close to my mooring in Lawling creek for me to have stayed there.

Laurin

Visit site
We are planning to head for Brightlingsea and the surrounding area from Pin Mill for our 10 day holiday at the beginning of August. We've only explored the Orwell, Stour and Walton backwaters so far so I would like to acclimatize the rest of the crew to slightly longer passages. (Crew = husband and 2.5 and 5.5 year old children). We sail a long keeler (1.6m draught) so can't sit in the mud so I'd be grateful of suggestions for places to go which will please the children. Anchorages/mooring buoys with beaches, places for crabbing, playgrounds, safe places to swim from the boat or practise rowing?

Also, where in the area has a god supermarket walking distance from a marina, anchorage, etc? We'll need a serious re-victual half way through!

Thanks,
Catherine

Heybridge for dinghy ride up the canal to tesco... Highlight of our kids week and playground opposite tesco.

Catherinen

Visit site
Tollesbury Marina - access close to HW with 1.6m draft - with covered swimming pool if weather is iffy

Heybridge Basin is definately worth it and as already mentioned can go to Tesco via dinghy. Then for the adults there are two pubs and a tea rooms on hand.

Thanks, great ideas, should be enough to keep us busy for a week :).

Visit site

Don't forget that on the 21st and 22nd it's the Clacton Airshow http://www.clactonairshow.com/... Maybe worth timing your return so you could catch the planes flying overhead when at anchor.

Laurin

Visit site
Don't forget that on the 21st and 22nd it's the Clacton Airshow http://www.clactonairshow.com/... Maybe worth timing your return so you could catch the planes flying overhead when at anchor.

I'm guessing you'll be a week earlier than us but we're planning on bri g on the blackwater from around the 16th August the. Going up to the air show. Have a 3year old and 5 year old on board who would LCD to meet your kids I'm sure!

Poecheng

Visit site
There are usually plenty of seals on the sand in the channel to the Crouch. Nice for the kids to see.

Agree with the Tollesbury suggestion - swimming pool important when ours were younger and recall it as being as restful as anywhere a boating parent is likely to find !

In the Colne, you can catch the tide to Rowhedge, tie up by the pub and stop for lunch or a drink or whatever the tide permits.

Maldon mud is soft so don't be put off going there. They quayside is broken I understand but you will stay fairly upright in one of the yards and then you can have quite a lot to explore as well as Tescos at Fullbridge.

nortada

Visit site

Thanks,
Catherine

Promised to PM you ref the Stone Point Pirates Weekend but as you see it has died the death:( . Still there is always next year:encouragement:.

Places to go with children?

See you have already explored the Backwaters but have you ventured up Foundry Reach to overnight (or longer) in the Walton Yacht Basin (The Pond)?

You will remain afloat at all states of the tide & are in easy walking distance of Walton with all it has to offer; including Tescos & the Coop for re-victualling.

The Pond itself offers all those activities you listed to keep the children amused & land-locked for most of the tide, The Pond must be one of the safer places to mess about in boats.

If you want just a short stay (to re-victual) at the top of the tide, you are welcome to moor up on the Walton & Frinton Club Quay - its free!

Regrettably, this quay dries at low water & the adverse camber would make it at the least very uncomfortable to lie alongside after the water had departed.

If you want full details go to http://marinas.com/view/marina/6637_Bedwell_Company_Boatyard_Walton_on_the_Naze_GB_United_Kingdom.

Bedwells administer 'The Pond' & there are some super aerial shots of the whole area.

Unfortunately they these pictures have yet to be updated to reflect the new club house which is very children friendly & has all amenities 24/7.

If you are concerned about first time up Foundry Reach it is well buoyed & should be possible with your draught 1.5 hours either side of high water; especially towards springs.

Should you wish pilotage PM me & I or another club member will meet you by dinghy or rib at the Spit Buoy at the top of the Walton Channel.

ps

Should have added that the club are holding their fun open day tomorrow (Sunday 27th Jul) with tons of things for children but as the Walton Life Boat will be lying to the quay & open to the public, the quay will not be available but The Pond will.

An alternative to could always drive around & have a look to see what is on offer.

Last edited:

Saguday

Visit site
I'm a bit biased as we keep our boat there but Tollesbury is a great place for kids. Yes there is a swimming pool and a good clubhouse with food and drink and stuff but there's a lot of other things to do within walking distance and most importantly there's ice creams and cold drinks in the marina shop :) Plenty of walks in and around the marina itself but also out along the sea wall and around the Saltings. Easy walk up into the village which has a couple of shops a butchers and a nice little bakery. If you have a dinghy or kayaks then you can while away a very pleasant few hours exploring the Saltings that meander off Woodrolfe creek at high tide. There's a tidal sill to the marina so you have to watch that, but if you get there early there are holding buoys at the entrance to the creek and we've spent many a pleasant evening in the peace and quiet out there.

Ours kids are a bit older now (13 and 15) but we'll be down in the second half of August for a week or two so will likely just miss you but hope you have a good time.

Cheers

Neil

nortada

Visit site
I'm a bit biased as we keep our boat there but Tollesbury is a great place for kids.

Cheers

Neil

Don't think your biased - your just saying it as it is in a useful informative post. We have great memories of good times all over the Blackwater & Bradwell was always one of our favourites - even got a conducted tour round the power station which was a real eye opener.

Could easily spend a season just exploring this inland sea & it's rivers.

nortada

Visit site
Chartlett of Foundry Reach - Spit Buoy To The Walton Yacht Basin (The Pond)

As requested by Burnham Bob, I attach a Google Chartlet of Foundry Reach from the Spit Buoy to The Walton Yacht Basin downloaded today (Tuesday 29th July).

1230 Cat Flap Opened.
1406 Published High water 4m.
1430 Observed High Water.
1440 Cat Flap Closed.

Minimum depth in Foundry Reach Channel 2m.

Hope this helps if you are thinking of trying it out.

PM if you require any further information.

Attachments

• Foundry Reach.jpg
    Foundry Reach.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0