Brightlingsea - marina and B&B's

Max Campbell

Visit site
My very small boat is now based at Shotley, the crew of 3 doesn't fancy sleeping aboard, so we're thinking of sailing down the wallet to B'sea, B&B'ing then sailing back.

Firstly, what's the marina like these days, wrt silting, 'cos we don't want to get stuck on a pontoon relying on the water taxi.

Secondly anyone recommend a B&B within walking distance?

Thirdly, anyone got a better destination? (I thought Bradwell, but can't imagine there's a B&B within a walk).

TIA
Max

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I would have a chat with the harbour master. Feel sure he will be able to help on all counts.
A few year's ago now before mobile phones. I had just arrived and happened to mention to the chap taking my lines on the pontoon that I had broken my spectacles. Although late in the afternoon, he radioed the harbour office to ring the opticians to possibly wait until I turned up. They did stay open and they fixed my glasses. I'm sure they would all do the same today.

Max Campbell

Visit site
My home berth was B'sea for 4 or 5 years, half-tide and pontoon. I will phone the harbour office.

Comments about marina silting and B&B's / air B&B still welcome.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Coming down from them thar furrin parts of Suffork you will be wanting the flood tide so will arrive at around HW. You haven’t said what you draw, but the marina has pretty good access. You will also be leaving near HW so it’s good all round. Though the current sets pretty strong across the entrance so you will crab in then have to straighten up as you go through the entrance. There is excellent shelter in the marina and eateries right at the top of the ramp. There are a lot of B&B's in townlook on the sailing club web site as they have an extensive list ... but it is holiday season ... Book in advance.

One word or warning... DO NOT stray near the red cans to the north of the DW channel... very bad news.