Bridge Heights.

G

Thanks for all the replies.The bridge heights and the info about going through Yarmouth at low water should help.Air draught is 11'6" draught 3'0".Is there enough water?

tcm

Visit site
Re: pilot book

it might be an idea to get a pilot book. The depths will vary according to state of the tide and whether the tides are neap or springs. Bridge heights will normally be shown as above MHWS - the normally worst case. There's enough room to hang about at low water to wait for enough depth.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I cant help allot on detailed questions, all my sailing on the broads was done on 25 holidays on hire boats with air draft of about 6 ft when wheel house lowered. Up river the tide has little effect so water level changes little from one tide to the next. There should be plenty of depth for you in most places. Some one gave you a list of bridge hights. After Yarmouth the tides wont help very much on clearances.

Haydn

eddieperkins

Visit site
Haven Bridge air draft around 2.4mt at average high water, range around 2 mt springs and 1mt neaps, Bredon bridge fixed span 3.9 mt springs. Should be plenty of water. The tide can run very fast through haven bridge so beware. Yarmouth is a busy commercial prot and you must Yarmouth Harbour radio on channel 12 for entry and departure. Observe port traffic signals. Local pilot book strongly advised. East Anglian Skippers guide is a very usefull little book available free (with a donation to the RNLI preffered) from Sahira publication, 35 lackfield close, Brundal, Norfolk. 01603 717715. It gives heights of the bridges on the Broads and lots of good information.
Have fun
Eddie

eddieperkins

Visit site
raham,
Just gone back and looked at your original posting and see where you are coming from (or is that going to?) You should be able to get onto the northern broads with care and carefull use of tide tables etc. If you can reduce your air draft it would be less hairy!!. There are 3 bridges between Yarmouth and the North broads, two of them are only 7' at high water and they can get quite shallow at low water springs. There are two boards with arrows indicating the deepest water but look out for daft grockles in hire cruisers that decide they want to race you for the bridge. Once through these bridges there is a lot of areas to explore & enjoy. Though you will not get through Wroxham Bridge you can turn off the river to Starboard and find a mooring at one of the boat yards, they are usually quite accomodating unless its Friday night/Saturday when the grockles return. I would use Lowestoft rather than Yarmouth for entry though.
Have fun, might see you up there.
Regards
Eddie

G

Thanks again for all the info.I like the Broads and now know it is possible to get onto the Northern section.Should be interesting juggling air draught with water depth and keeping a lookout for grockles!
grahamjd.

G

Re: depths and clearances

In Norfolk and Suffolk it is best not to rely on charted or given heights and soundings. This is an area where many things influence the tides. The atmospheric pressure can make 18" of difference, and there is alwsys the wind direction which builds up heights in the soutern north Sea. It is best to watch the gauges which you will find by the bridges. The most awkward spot is the confluence between Yare and Bure just above the Haven bridge at Yarmouth. This bridge is not too bad for a small craft (under 15 m), but there is apt to be others about who will worry you.

For the bridges at the confluence, if you are at all nervous, stop at Bure Marine on the westward side of the "pool" and ask (They have diesel at a fair price too, but as I think that is unofficial you'd better not quote me). Helpful people, if only because they have the contract to rescue all the hire craft that get into trouble around there. At springs that is usually two a day.

William Cooper

bernard_foster

Visit site
less Bridge Heights.

Visited my boat at the weekend, (Potter Heigham) The river was breaking the banks in places and the pontoon i am on was 2 inches under water, as for the bridge, forget it, it was about 5' 6" clearance

G

Re: less Bridge Heights.

Potter Heigham is on my list of bridges to explore in the tender! I don't think even the pilots could get 11'6" air draught through this one.Some hireboat skippers may try though.
Thanks grahamjd.

tcm

Visit site
Re: depths and the Hon. Cooper

Agreed - i was trying to steer people away from "navigating by buletin board".

Anyway, how have you got to be "User". Not "new user" or mere "regular"? Praps u could ask to have a little blue waving flag too? .... Or (gasp) have you already got a White waving flag with your name but I can't see it against the background ?!!