Brick Cleaner - it works!

alt

Visit site
Didn't take pics unfortunately.

Gave the stainless props a lash of brick cleaner today. Painted on and left for about 5 mins. Came back and lashed more on, and rubbed lightly with a scouring pad to get the tough stuff off.

What a difference! Well worth it, no more limescale etc. on the props, came up like new.

A colleague was passing (he's a chemistry guy) and said that it works well, but be sure to wash wash wash down with lots of water after, as the hydrochloric (sp?) acid will pit the stainless if not thoroughly washed off.

Loving my shiny new props :D

GrahamHR

Visit site
viakal has the same effect - available at Tesco

I can't imagine why VP went with that wonder material Nibral for the DPH drives. They seem to be more expensive than the stainless steel props for the more expensive DPR drives. How do we find if DPR props can be made to fit the DPH driives ?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
In Spain it is called "Agua Fuerte" - literal translation - Strong Water
We buy it in the supermarket!!!
The trick that I've learnt is to put a smsll amount in a tub (about the size of a jam jar) and the apply with an old/cheap paint brush.
If you keep agitating and applying the stuff, eventually any calcium deposits (barnacles etc) just rub off.
Quicker than any otger process but you do have to keep rubbing it with the paint brush until you get to the metal underneath.
I've been using the stuff for a long time but the technique seems to work the best.

alt

Visit site
In Spain it is called "Agua Fuerte" - literal translation - Strong Water
We buy it in the supermarket!!!
The trick that I've learnt is to put a smsll amount in a tub (about the size of a jam jar) and the apply with an old/cheap paint brush.
If you keep agitating and applying the stuff, eventually any calcium deposits (barnacles etc) just rub off.
Quicker than any otger process but you do have to keep rubbing it with the paint brush until you get to the metal underneath.
I've been using the stuff for a long time but the technique seems to work the best.

I got mine from local DIY store, so no special efforts in obtaining it.

I followed your method... kept applying with paint brush. You could see the build-up just fizzing away. Some of the stubborn stuff needed a rub with a scouring pad, but not much effort... the chemical was doing all the work

By the way, I take it that you wouldn't put this on the out-drives? (painted) - We have some stubborn build-up that doesn't want to come off. It's purely cosmetic, doesn't affect performance at all... but curious as to how I *could* remove it

Hurricane

Visit site
I got mine from local DIY store, so no special efforts in obtaining it.

I followed your method... kept applying with paint brush. You could see the build-up just fizzing away. Some of the stubborn stuff needed a rub with a scouring pad, but not much effort... the chemical was doing all the work

By the way, I take it that you wouldn't put this on the out-drives? (painted) - We have some stubborn build-up that doesn't want to come off. It's purely cosmetic, doesn't affect performance at all... but curious as to how I *could* remove it

I think it would be ok on outdrives if you kept it away from any sensitive places - rubber and rams etc
I use it on trim tabs and shafts

NoviceRod

Visit site
Yes, I have found Brick & Patio cleaner (HCl, Hydrochloric Acid) very effective removing the barnacles. Wear rubber gloves, and paint on with an old brush, but be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse with water afterwards.

Pinnacle

Visit site
Hi N

Yep, its good stuff isnt it!

As others have said, you do need to fully rinse of after application. For me it was a little easier, as I simply took the blades of the prop out of the hub and placed them in a bucket of the cleaner. You can watch the wee beasties perish in front of your eyes! Do ensure you wear adequate protection as if you get any on your skin its bad news.

Rgds P

KevB

Visit site
"Brick Cleaner - it works!"

Yes, did mine yesterday.

IMAG0700_zpscde9bb7a.jpg

Cliveshep

Visit site
We've got one of these fashionable glass electric kettles that unfortunatley love limescale build up which looks unsightly. So I give it a swirl with brick-cleaner periodically - naturally once it is sparkling it gets a good rinse out of course!

alt

Visit site
We've got one of these fashionable glass electric kettles that unfortunatley love limescale build up which looks unsightly. So I give it a swirl with brick-cleaner periodically - naturally once it is sparkling it gets a good rinse out of course!

Handy way to get rid of the wife :D

VicS

Visit site
Any recs as to a good brand/spec/source please? I've got a Gori folder to clean up. :)

B&Q, Homebase and other stockists: Cementone Brick and Patio Cleaner

Not all brick cleaners are hydrochloric acid based but this one is . The Ecochem one is not

If buying any other check the labelling and or the safety data sheet

Last edited: