Brest beware

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Quick heads up, for anyone heading for Brest this week: the fete maritime is on. No vessels accepted at Le Chateau. You will be diverted to the old Moulin Blanc, upriver. Which has a quiet rustic charm, but is a long walk to the Quai de La Douane (if you were wanting to stamp in / out).

Last edited:
Reactions: Obi

John_Silver

Think I’ve accidentally ‘discovered’ a bit of a gem, @LittleSister . Since Le Chateau was built, have stayed there. But Moulin seems much more of a friendly ‘locals’ kind of place.
Only downside is that it’s a long (non scenic) trek into town….or to see the Fete Maritime. But thanks to @Poignard that issue is resolved :cool:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Quick heads up, for anyone heading for Brest this week: the fete maritime is on. No vessels accepted at Le Chateau. You will be diverted to the old Moulin Blanc, upriver. Which has a quiet rustic charm, but is a long walk to the Quai de La Douane (if you were wanting to stamp in / out).
I understand the preavis form sent to duane enables one to check in electronically. They return it as acknowledged I think.

Similarly on check out. How they keep tally on the 90 days in possibly several different ports I have no idea

John_Silver

I understand the preavis form sent to duane enables one to check in electronically. They return it as acknowledged I think.

Similarly on check out. How they keep tally on the 90 days in possibly several different ports I have no idea
BUT: For those of us who stamped in the ‘old way,’ because we arrived, in France, in April, before the ‘new way,’ came into being, a physical stamp out is needed.

AND: those wishing to carry on to another Schengen country (crossing Biscay, to Spain or Portugal, for which Brest is a good jumping off point, for example) still need a physical passport stamp. The PaF system only operating locally, in France.

Hence flag.

Brest maritime festival long over however. So crews arriving in Brest are free to choose their preferred method.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
It’s hardly a nightmare. Two systems, one standard and the other optional for cruisers staying local.