Breathable Kit

PhatBuoy

London via the midlands and the Celtic isles
Visit site
I hate foul weather gear. I seem to get just as wet with it on as with it off. I want to sail till x-mas this year so need new breathable kit. My choice to buy (at SBS) would be Musto's HPX offshore stuff. Any advice on what works/value for money/other makes would be appreciated also advice on best deals would be good.

Cheers

Phat

Visit site
Theree was an article....

in PBO a few years back (with yours truely as a model of the HPX!) by Duncan Kent.

I can confirm the properties of HPX. They are marvellous and available in two leg lengths. that sweatiness you get from setting out at 4am and staying in the same kit until midnight just doesn't happen. Mine must be around five years old now but look as good as new. Kept me dry on a delivery trip from the north of the Adriatic to Athens during the foul weather that was April 2001.

Steve Cronin

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
I bought a couple of Musto HPX Offshore outfits (me and the wife) a couple of years ago. I got about 25% off at the LBS. The stuff works fine.

The one thing I do like is the mid-layer system. I regularly wear just the bottom two layers as a form of jump suit. In anything less than a storm, its fine and has loads of manueverability whilst still being warm - a little too warm in some cases in which case I dispense with the bottom layer (!) I did supplement the underwear layer by buying some M&S thermal undies - they seem to work just as well.

I also have the harness embedded in the jacket. By the time I need the jacket I probably need the harness too and its ready instantly. It can be tucked away if neccessary so you're not aware that you're wearing it.

The only real niggle I have is not confined to Musto. The hood never works well if its attached to the jacket. You still get wet and cant see anything (Dont they know you're supposed to look around?)

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I swapped my 18 year old set of Mustos for a new set of breathables at the start of this season. They've kept me totally dry and very warm. In cold weather I wear Musto thermal undies and a Musto snug under them. The biggest advantage I've noticed apart from the breathable fabric is the fact that they are so light and supple. I've found 2 disadvantages : They seem to get grubby very easily. The price is eye watering. But on the whole I'd say they're worth it though whether they last 18 years is another matter.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
I tend to wear the Helly Hansen gear cos it is available form their outlet village shops at a vastly reduced rate. It means a few trips to the shops to check but i have the kit at less than half price. My all singing all dancing inshore jacket cost £60.
I bought my then other half the full offshore kit for a trip in jan and she found it brill even at night in the rain and to my knowledge still does.

The only problem is you need to visit the shop and ring in regularly as they donot always have your size in. But in the augist sales you can pick up thre thermals and mid layers really cheap too.
I found my circa 350 for a normal of shore get up can stretch alot further.

The HH shops are mainly at the McArthur Glenn Outlets , best trying one inshore obviously.

Just a thought

...It was like that when i found it!

Andrew_Nelson

Visit site
You probably have more cash than i do!

We have used cheap breathable suits this year and found they are comfortable and work well
Compass watersports Tech Offshore suit costs 160 pounds

Andrew

davel

Visit site
Musto also have a shop at at least one outlet village (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bicestervillage.com/bicester.html>http://www.bicestervillage.com/bicester.html</A>).

Dave L.

robp

Visit site
I bought HPX Offshore. It's certainly comfortable to live in. The main criticism I have though, is that it's so baggy. If I went for the smaller size, the arms or legs were too short etc! If I did it again, I think I would use the show to try on all the premium marques and see which is "easiest" to wear.

Also, the "Marine Pool" range seems to be good value for what looks to be as good as HPX. I think "Sydney" is their top range.