Breaking News: Ship Radio Licensing

Becky

Visit site
Although I am very pleased for you, retirement is grreat! Nevertheless, it is sad that we are loosing somebody we have all come to trust.
However, my particular concern is that SSB radios will still be illegal, at least the reasonably priced Icom 802. I know that there are others, but they are bulky (the Barrat is huge), or 24 volt (the Furuno). These also come very much under the umbrella of 'safety equipment'. Seems silly to my little mind that you can call UK stations from abroad, but you aren't allowed to have one in UK waters.
Not Mikes responsibility, I know.

Ships_Cat

Visit site
Ahh but you see he didn't read the post! We were working on this over two years ago.

You also mentioned that it was being reviewed in one of the radio threads a year or so ago. Doesn't affect me, of course, but the proposal looks very interesting.

All the best for your post Friday new life Mike.

John

Stork_III

Visit site
Mike. reading the proposal, much is said about SHIP'S License but not much about Operator License. Is that to be deregulated? Bad idea. Fine issue a ship with license for life but ensure that competant operator still responsible.

fireball

Visit site
Read it again - he said it would be a bad idea if de-regulated ... IE you must still take a test to supervise the operation a VHF (outside emergency situations) ..

Re: Operator certificate

No the Operators' Certificate is mentioned and it remains a requirement of the new long lasting Ship Radio Licence to have one.

It may be worth trawling the archives to see one of my less well received posts a few months ago about Ofcom's new on the spot fine powers, those who are clever may have already noticed the link to that and the words in the con. doc addressing enforcement.

Mike

Re:Clarification needed

It is worth highlighting that this proposed system will still meet ALL of the international requirements!

All it will actually do is make the licence free for those who apply on-line and make it free of the need to pay a yearly renewal fee.

However, it will be a punitively enforceable requirement that changes indetails such as equipment owner etc are still made.

We aren't changing the rules per se but how they are implimented on GB vessels.

Mike

Visit site
Re:Clarification needed

While this is great news this is a government agency and governments do nothing for free.

I'm puckered up and waiting for the big "gotcha" tax on diesel maybe? compulsary registration of all yachts? who knows but I do know this, nothing is free in the uk and at sometime we are going to get mullered by some tax or other restrictive non sensical policy after we have been softened up.

The small boating community isn't lucky enough to have two bits of good news (The RYA's victory and now freebie licence) within 6 months.

What next? the anouncement that moorings are to be free of charge? Cats loving dogs? Raggies loving stinkies and vice versa!... it's all going mad!

Cynic? moi?

BrendanS

Visit site

It's a bit sad that people are so distrusting of a consultation document. I'd lay bets that those whinging loudest haven't bothered to respond yet. Maybe this will prompt them to do so.

If you do manage a pub in Sevenoaks, let me know. My ex lived there so know a few of them, and would be delighted to come visit. Anyway, I hope you'll still be posting here, and contributing what must be quite an accumulated wisdom on the machinations of civil service/Offcom

winchservicing

www.winchservicing.com
My point is not whether you want to use a VHF or not. Its, how can you legislate on something you have absolutely no control over???

Q.
What stops people from buying and using a VHF without obtaining a licence?

A,
Nothing!

Q,
What can you do about it?

A,
Realistically…..Nothing!

Human nature being what it is, it’s going to be exploited!

Gone are the days where you could rely on people to be honest and cough up if they're not forced to!

We all make payments to the production companies for infringing copyrights when we record their TV programs-don’t we!!

fireball

Visit site
<i>
We all make payments to the production companies for infringing copyrights when we record their TV programs-don’t we!!</I>

This is legal, if it is for your own use - ie Don't sell it/rent it out or charge for viewing.....

Stork_III

Visit site

Who's whinging. Your previous reply post to me misread the words. This one misunderstands them. First the eyes, now the brain.

BrendanS

Visit site

I wasn't referring to your comments. Mike has posted this message across several forums, and some people don't seem particularly pleased at what is happening