Bray Lock

nickcred

Visit site
Hi All

Anyone have any info on when they will complete or at least improve the temporary landing bays at Bray. tried to go through on Saturday and it was complete carnage with at least 10 boats floating around either unable or not wanting to use the jagged steel temp landing stage. We eventually turned around after trying to control Tristan on her Stern drive for 20 mins (no power no steer lol). River was busy but definately saw more boats coming downstream than attempting to go through bray. If it's not finished soon it will get worse as the summer goes on. After the increases in Licence I am effectively limited to Downstream of Bray if it continiues like this. Apart from that the weather was better than I hoped for on Sat and Sunday and spent a nice weekend going down to Walton and back.

Only other boat I saw with a forum burgee was Shikara a couple of times but did manage to give out a few of Boatones flyers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any info anyone has I would be gratefull

Ramage

Visit site
The word on Bray Lock is that the temporary facilities will be below the lock at least until June. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We went through between 10.30 & 11.00 on Saturday on our way up to the Thames Valley Rally at Henley. No -one was using the pontoons, prefering to hold off rather than risk damage.

Coming back this afternoon there was a huge queue to go downstream too!

nickcred

Visit site
Thanks Paul

We were a little later than that and it looked like we would have to hold off for at least 30 mins as the lock gates had just closed and still a stack of boats outside.

Guess we try again next weekend lol - if nothing else it gives me practice trying to keep control with a stern drive and no power - any tips guys appreciated

Nick

theguvnor

Visit site
Find a quiet time / stretch of Thames and try to hold station as long as you can.

It becomes easier the more you practice, I've got a planing hull (27') with a single diesel outdrive and the trick is to be gentle with her !!

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: single outdrive

As I'm sure you will have heard before - steer before power!

Twiddle the wheel as required then a little dab of forward or astern as required, then out of gear, twiddle the wheel again if required and another dab of power - repeat until you run out of diesel or they open the lock - most likely the former in the case of Bray lock on a bank holiday weekend!

Started with a shaft drive Birchwood 25, then moved up to an outdrive driven Senior 31 (both boats single engined). The outdrive boat was much easier to control as you can steer in reverse, something I found virtually impossible on the shaft driven boat.

Darren.

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Re: single outdrive

Post the question on the MOBO forum and you'll get your answer. Can't remember the name of the guy who has them but he's usually quick to reply if there's a potential sale!

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Forum Burgee

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, forum burgee,,, where does one acguire such a thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe thats from HLB.

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Gotta say the burgee helped me get on my mid river mooring on monday , the wind was blowing from all directions and i had to spin out twice . I was enjoying the practice and then thought about watching the burgee so i could use the wind to my advantage . I held station the best i could untill the burgee spun to port , i then gave a short blast stbd and let the wind blow me onto the mooring . Great fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nickcred

Visit site
thanks guys

I feel some practice sessions are order of the day then. So if you see a birchwood sitting idle in the middle of the river I have either borken down or am practicing lol :)

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Dogsbody's advice abov has it on the button:
[ QUOTE ]
Twiddle the wheel as required then a little dab of forward or astern as required, then out of gear, twiddle the wheel again if required and another dab of power

[/ QUOTE ]

By 'twiddle' he means ' give the steering some welly! A few degrees in this situation is rarely much help. However, with the wheel hard over the outdrive is probably about 35degrees from ahead and a short burst of ahead or astern will produce an immediate turning effect before you start to actually move forwards or backwards. Lesser wheel angles will produce lesser turning effect etc. Remeber that the pivot point is nearer the stern than the bow.

I used to have a Norman 32 narrow beam cruiser with an Enfield Z Drive, and was able to put the thing pretty much into a 33' gap after a little practice. Wind is the big problem.

nickcred

Visit site
Thanks Boatone

I thinkI was stressing too much about the Kris Cruiser hire boat that kept drifting up along my starboard and once the stress set in it all went wrong :) Normally as you say you can get the boat into some nice positions when mooring and she turns on a pin. Will be practicing in a less stressfull situation this weekend ready for my next atack on Bray /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Twiddling the wheel

[ QUOTE ]
Dogsbody's advice abov has it on the button:
[ QUOTE ]
Twiddle the wheel as required then a little dab of forward or astern as required, then out of gear, twiddle the wheel again if required and another dab of power

[/ QUOTE ]

By 'twiddle' he means ' give the steering some welly! A few degrees in this situation is rarely much help. However, with the wheel hard over the outdrive is probably about 35degrees from ahead and a short burst of ahead or astern will produce an immediate turning effect before you start to actually move forwards or backwards. Lesser wheel angles will produce lesser turning effect etc. Remeber that the pivot point is nearer the stern than the bow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point well made Tony, on my old boat it was only 3 turns lock-to-lock, so most of my manouvering was with the steering hard over to one side or the other - could almost pull the stern over sideways. Now on my current boat, its so many turns lock-to-lock that I get bored and give up with the wheel but then I do have another engine to play with now.

Darren.

bradtarga34

Visit site

Nick, were you going past Staines up-river on Sunday afternoon by any chance? I saw a Birchwood go past, but had such fancy writing for the boat name I couldn't make it out with my beer goggles on, but looked as though it was flying a club burgee?

Gavi

Visit site

.. I think I saw Nick too, going up river after Bell Wier at about 1740 (I recall the time as I was trying to get back in time for Bradford/Leeds RL at 1800)

nickcred

Visit site

Hi Guys

Yes that was us we went down to Walton On Thames and stopped at The Swan for a drink and returned back to Datchet on Sunday evening to stay overnight at the mooring. Lovely to be able to moor up right outside the pub for a change.

The lettering is a tad fancy (came with the boat) and the burgee was flying. I think I remember seeing Oudrageous as the name sticks in my memory.

Nick