Brass Skin Fittings NFG?

seaesta

Visit site
I am replacing my engine with a Beta 13.5 H.P and need to increase the raw water inlet diameter. The old skin fitting is in marine bronze and has lasted 40 years. My local chandler seems to have fittings in brass which would seem a bad idea to me. Does anyone have experience of brass ftiings and would anyone recommend a source of stainless or bronze 3/4 inch skin fittings
Cheers and Happy New Year
Martin

tillergirl

Visit site
Try Norris of Isleworth, Middx (aka outskirts of London) They are foundrymen so understand the difference. By the way don't get tricked into buying manganese bronze - it is a deceptive name for brass. I would not use stainless steel underwater as stainless needs oxygen to be stainless and is subject to crevice corrosion. SDorry I don't have the telephone number for Norris.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Norris is the outfit that sold me a brass (CZ121) stern tube proclaiming "Everyone supplies brass now for sea use, phosphor bronze would be too expensive".

I rejected it and discovered that the difference in material cost between brass and bronze was £1!

Try somewhere else!

dickh

Visit site
Use ASAP Supplies http://www.asapsupplies.com/ But be careful, some pictures are wrong - check the written description carefully. DONT go for Tonval ATD - it's only a Brass - go for Bronze or Gunmetal. Get their catalogue and you can see all the bits available.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I asked Norris for a definition of the material os the stern tube they supplied and they admitted it was CZ121 (by letter). I also asked where they obtained the material and they advised Smiths Metal Centres in Bristol. My engineering company uses Smiths very occasionally so I have an account. It was from them I obtained the PB. I machined the material myself. You need to ask for "cored leaded bronze" which is a thick-walled tube. As for its usefulness for the seawater environment, I would welcome feedback.

marasc

Visit site
Try aqua-fax, I got all my skin fittings off em. magic. but go for the one with wood nibs and grind em off. they are better quality then the others

fireball

Visit site
The DZR Ball Valves that ASP supplies described as:
DZR copper alloy for long life

Are these suitable for below waterline use?

AndrewB

Visit site
41161.JPG

This is the standard piece of kit for engine raw water intake, made in DZR1 bronze with a separate filter, well-proven and will normally last forever but needing occasional inspection. It is obtainable through any yacht chandler.

DZR1 bronze has a high zinc content , and would be classified by purists as a brass. It is possible to get a true phosphor-bronze seacock - I have one on my heads outlet which was supplied by ECS, but it is unusual and costs twice as much. You can use an ordinary brass seacock but they must be dismantled and inspected regularly, with an life expectancy possibly as low as 5 years. A gate valve is prone to become blocked and is really not very suitable on the engine intake.