Brass polishing and wire wool

firstascent2002

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I need to bring some brass back to polish. It is really really soiled. The previous owner has used come sand paper on it and left lots of micro scratches.

My plan was to wet and dry it. 240 - > 400 -> 600 -> 1000 and then use wire wool before braso or auto gleam. Is that the best option?

As I have a fair amount to do,is there a drill attatchement that might be a good idea does anyone know?

Jamie

Hardley

Visit site
Wire wool will leave lots of scratches, which will take a lot of hard work to get out, best to use Brasso, lots of elbow grease.
Have seen Coca Cola used to good effect.

sailingawayforayearandaday.blogspot.com
Polishing compound is probably the only way you'll get a super smooth finish, but it will only take out scratches of about 1200 or more. Not sure what wire wool leaves, but do you really need to start with 240? Seems very harsh for scratches on brass, what did the previous guy do?

firstascent2002

Visit site
Course wood sand paper...got through the lacqer back to bear metal alright but completely ruined it! I am going to have to remove about a a tenth of a mm of brass across the whole surface.

It might just be cheaper to start from scratch. Where can i buy angle brass lengths from I wonder?!

rob2

Visit site
Brass is quite a soft material, which is why it polishes best with a very mld abrasive such as Autosol. The problem is that many of the tarnishes on it are relatively hard. You can use a fine abrasive, but it is important to use a backing pad to maintain the flatness of the surface. You can reduce the cut of an abrasive by rubbing soap onto it - a similar techinique to keeping a file clear on soft materials by filling it with chalk.

You don't say what profile you're working on. Flat surfaces are easier to clean, but intricate shapes can be near impossible without rubbing away the corners!

Google should turn up some suppliers of brass stock - flats , tubes, rod, etc.

Rob.

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
Where can i buy angle brass lengths from I wonder?!

There may not be the sizes you want, but AIR the various B&Q stores/barns carry some profiles in brass. Then there's the famous 'Woods' at Crediton. Mike, the gaffer there, is really helpful....

If you were passing Bath, I'd suggest Avery, Knight and Bowler - for they certainly would have what you want - but there must be a score of good metals stockists between you at Exeter and here.

Moving this sideways just a little, I have some tarnished brass hinges to fit soon, in a non-marine environment, so the responses about polishing are of interest.

What would peeps suggest as a varnish or lacquer.....? :)

charles_reed

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I need to bring some brass back to polish. It is really really soiled. The previous owner has used come sand paper on it and left lots of micro scratches.

My plan was to wet and dry it. 240 - > 400 -> 600 -> 1000 and then use wire wool before braso or auto gleam. Is that the best option?

As I have a fair amount to do,is there a drill attatchement that might be a good idea does anyone know?

Jamie
You really need a 3M metal finishing pad - too gentle to get rid of bad scoring, but much superior to anything else.

onesea

Visit site
Are there any others?

1) Nail varnish
2) Coca Cola,
3) Brown Sauce,

There must be more wacky brass polishing or do I need to start a new thread?

Have done a test once and Brown Sauce beat Coca Cola... Once you could get special Wire wool with polish in if I remember rightly?

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Jamie
Soak in coke or vinegar overnight then get a micromesh kit.

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
Are there any others?

1) Nail varnish
2) Coca Cola,
3) Brown Sauce,

There must be more wacky brass polishing or do I need to start a new thread?

Have done a test once and Brown Sauce beat Coca Cola... Once you could get special Wire wool with polish in if I remember rightly?

The nail varnish is to protect the brass after polishing