Brass nuts

G

As it's been so nippy lately I thought I might do a bit of engine maintenance and I have decided to replace a couple of chewed exhaust manifold nuts.
Do they need to be brass? Could I use stainless?

Thanks......

Gaffer

Visit site
With this kind of job I allways replace like with like. If there were brass nuts on origianlly then someone must have thaught that was the right thing to have. Apply pleanty of anti-seize compound to the thread and nut, and it wil come off easily the next time......

coliholic

Visit site
Only use the brass one, makes them easier to remove when needed. And pop into your local tyre and exhaust centre and cadge a dozen off them. Much cheaper than Halfords or car spares shop. If you can wait till you need new tyres or exhaust for your car, they'll probably throw them in for mothing.

rob

Visit site
Hi,

Just thought I'd mention I once was advised to replace the nuts on my car manifold with Brass ones, only to find out they were the cause of my exhaust manifold dropping off right in front of the Traffic Police!!!

rob

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Not brass- probably!

Depends what your manifold is made of. If the manifold is cast alloy don't use brass as the alloy will disolve! If cast iron then , OK. Exhaust manifold nuts are usually a copper compound and are "squashed" so that they are self-locking when you wind them on - they are the "use once" type.

Regards,

Jerry