Bouregreg Marina, Rabat, Sale, Morocco

Fascadale

Visit site
The unending blessings of our new situation are forcing me to consider 90 days in Morocco

Does anyone have any information, opinions, experience of the Bouregreg Marina

it sounds quite good, once you are in, according to various sources

However I can’t get its website to work, can’t get a reply to emails and the phone is not answered

An alternative is the marina at Agadir but it’s reviews on Navionics are not good

Thanks

RupertW

Visit site
It’s a great place and super cheap. If we hadn’t been on a timescale to get to the Canaries I would have stayed there a month of two very happily.

Yes, it’s not a harbour to approach if there is big swell from the West, but that is quite rare. You need to radio a pilot boat from the marina to come out and guide you through close to high tide but that seemed reliable and easy. As you come in the entrance to the river you really feel as if you have come somewhere very different indeed with mediaval high fortification on the Rabat side and a beach full (when we were there in July) of often fully observant Muslim beach goers looking a bit hot but having a raucous time.

Customs will board you on the berth outside the marina - might take a while and they look very officious and do a bit of a search of the boat- drones, guns and drugs seemed to be their main concern. They weren’t bothered by our booze. If you speak French you will be instantly at home throughout Rabat and Sale. Quite a few liveaboards but marina far from full.

Marina was modern, highly organised but also very laid back with lots of shrugs if you asked for any info about what was outside the marina. Sale is a short walk, with ancient walls but less ancient buildings inside but has lots of basic shops and cashpoints. A short tram ride from the marina is Rabat itself on the opposite bank. Modern bits and ancient bits and I thought a total gem that you could spend weeks exploring, plus has big modern stores include Carrefour. Most tourists are Moroccans but we started to see Europeans around the souk, and there are plenty of bars and cafes.

Probably our most surprising and memorable destination after 10 years Med cruising. I understand there are good international connections. One downside if you are a woman is the need to have comfortable clothing covering legs and arms, compared to many men in T shirts and shorts.

Last edited:

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Quite agree with Rupert W - pilot boat will come out to meet you and give you a time so you might have to hang about outside for a bit but that shouldn't be a problem.
I found the custom officials very helpful and friendly but yes they will search the boat.
To explore Rabat I used to take one of the wooden rowed ferry boats across. The souk is amazing of course and also the old walled city of Kasbah des Oudayas - which is what you pass on the way in. Enjoy.

phanakapan

Visit site
Very interesting- we too are looking at Rabat (we were considering Tanja Marina Bay in Tangier, but they say they’re full?) . We’re currently in the Spanish Rias, heading south and orca dodging- original plan was to cross to the Caribbean but family affairs back in the UK mean I’d prefer to stay this side of the pond, and do the Schengen shuffle. (btw hello to ‘old friends’ on here- I was a very active YBW forum member in the past but have been land locked- doubly land locked, in fact, as I’ve been in Uzbekistan for a few years!)

Fascadale

Visit site
To add to the story……….

Unfortunately, and despite trying to contact them through three email addresses and three phone numbers I have never had any reply from the Sale marina. Very disappointing.

The marina in Tangiers has no space available: Gibraltar is not sufficiently attractive for a long stay, and I didn’t want a long sail north on the uncertainty of Sale so the boat will winter in the Canaries…….

Fortunately I am an Irish citizen so will be free to use the boat through the winter. My crew mate is a Brit so does not have such control. 90 days out in the cold for him.

RupertW

Visit site
To add to the story……….

Unfortunately, and despite trying to contact them through three email addresses and three phone numbers I have never had any reply from the Sale marina. Very disappointing.

The marina in Tangiers has no space available: Gibraltar is not sufficiently attractive for a long stay, and I didn’t want a long sail north on the uncertainty of Sale so the boat will winter in the Canaries…….

Fortunately I am an Irish citizen so will be free to use the boat through the winter. My crew mate is a Brit so does not have such control. 90 days out in the cold for him.
It’s a turn up kind of place - but can I ask again whether you sent emails in French?

RupertW

Visit site
But I think Mrs Fascadale will prefer the Canaries: cheap flights to a bit of winter sun. Cheaper than going to our place on the West Coast for the weekend
That’s a good, but more expensive, call - you get a chance to do some sailing then. Our boat has been there in different marina bases for the last 3 years. We are currently in the marina that I think gives best sailing options in the Canaries, Las Gallettas in Tenerife, but alas not in the loveliest marina with the best afloat community, Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria.