Boulters Lock Hotel

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
anyone know if this place is being done up? Have walked past this place twice in the last year, first time we thought it looked very tired and run down from the outside, the 2nd time it looked like some builders were getting ready to move in. It seems to be in an ideal location and as we are soon to be moored not far from this place, just wondered if it is actually popualar and any good for boaters for either a drink or a meal.
couldn't seem to find their website if they have one

miket

Visit site
Haven't been in there recently but it used to be rather expensive and pretty average.
The pontoon was very rickety and did not encourage boat visitors and the inside moorings were shallow.
As you say, nice location, shame about the pub/ hotel.

Nautorius

Visit site
Unfortunately it has been bought by developers. It is being turned into flats. I was chatting to a guy this year working on it, he said it had made a loss for 4 years and redevelopment was the only viable option.

A real shame if you ask me, another pub on the river gone!

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
must have been very badly run for it to make a loss - Couldn't think of a more prime location for a restuarant / bar. Ideal location for boaters as near a lock (if the locks busy, would always be tempted to stop there and have a drink) but also ideal for all the tourist / day trippers as boulters lock is always so busy, even in the colder months.
Like you say, another pub gone on the river, which is a shame as half the appeal for us getting a boat is pulling up at a pub on a nice summers day!

Oen

Visit site
Aaaah, memories of mooring my classic mobo outside - or anchoring fore and aft below the pub, and using the tender for a run ashore... The food was always pretty good, when I tried it. I have some lovely pictures of my old boat there.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
.......half the appeal for us getting a boat is pulling up at a pub on a nice summers day!

[/ QUOTE ]

Regretably, pubs on the riverside where you can actually do this are becoming few and far between, and those there are are frequently impossible to access because of lack of mooring space.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
skindles

looked on the web about Skindles and came up with this report in the Times (now that sounded like a interesting place to visit)

<span style="color:blue"> </span> Skindles hotel, Maidenhead: the UK's premier hotel for adulterers

"Are you married or do you live in Maidenhead?" went a pre-war joke. It's now hard to appreciate how the Thames Valley town became a byword for extramarital liaisons, but in the 1920s and 30s it happened — and at its saucy centre was Skindles hotel (left). Founded in 1833 by William Skindle, it was built up as a smart hotel in the newly fashionable riverside resort of Maidenhead, a short ride from Paddington station. A peak of the season was Ascot Sunday, when the smart set took to the water. In the 1920s and 30s, Skindles shifted a gear and became frequented by rich and racy motorcar drivers.

The jazz age's jeunesse dorée flocked to the hotel, and it became the centre of the dirty weekend. While the likes of Winston and Clementine Churchill still dined at Skindles, the town became known as "Soho-on-Thames", notorious for the glamorous depravity of the "roadhouse set". A gin and tonic was expensive at 9d, but deemed worth it for the experience of drinking alongside the bright young things. After the second world war, Skindles came under new ownership and it was positioned towards the rock aristocracy. The Rolling Stones played there, and Princess Margaret was once a guest. But the jet set no longer found Maidenhead as alluring, and Skindles became a run-down venue for discos. Today its buildings stand boarded up (above) and, although its riverside site must be worth millions, the place is now a remnant of the days when the phrase "I'm off to Maidenhead" was delivered with a wink.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Regretably, pubs on the riverside where you can actually do this are becoming few and far between, and those there are are frequently impossible to access because of lack of mooring space.

[/ QUOTE ]

would be interested to know about the ones that you can then, at least the ones that people recommend anyway. Would be interested to look them up so I can start planning some trips in preperation of our new hobby

theguvnor

Visit site
About 18 months ago I did a wedding trip at Boulters Hotel for my neighbours daughter. It took 2 days to clean the duck cr*p off the pontoon to save the brides dress. The hotel was registered for weddings so the ceremony & reception were held there.

My main concern was getting the bride & her dad off the boat onto the wobbley pontoon.

The management never encouraged boaters as the mooring was bad & unkempt & access to the bars & restaurants was overgrown - a real shame, great site but where are the big hotel chains when you need them?

Brayman

Visit site
Although there are fewer pubs you can moor outside these days, there are plenty within 10 - 20 minutes walk of good mooring places, and not just pubs but good restaurants too.

Beryl

Visit site
The pub still exists and is being refurbished. The accommodation block has been knocked down and town houses are being built but the pub remains. Amazing how people get things wrong and spread unfounded bad news!

Nautorius

Visit site
Hi Beryl,

Only Going off what the builders told me. He was not aware that the pub was to remain and intoned it too was being converted. Also no Boards etc up about redevelopment and the Loch keeper thought it was shut for good. I would love it to reopen!

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oen

Visit site
NB This is a reply to theguvnor...

I think we joined you on the jetty... What boat were you on?