Bought a New Rib XPRO 535

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It all started at the Sough Hampton Boat Show 2023 where I rather liked the XPRO 535 from 3D Tender. The key thing for us it that it will fit on an unbraked trailer. We pondered over it while on Holiday in Lanzarote and decided to make the 720 mile round trip to Cornwall to have a better look. The upshot is I have placed an order for the Boat Package and trailer which includes the Boat, Front Console, Leaning seat, Cover and the Extreme EXT750 Swing trailer. I also ordered the B02 rear seat. Including delivery I will pay the Special Boatshow price. I have not ordered an engine but will fit my own once I have decided what to put on her. The Rib is only plated to 75hp but it is a light narrow boat and I will be happy with that.

Here are a few pics from our trip to Ocean First Marine the UK Distributor

Attachments

• IMG_8078.jpg
    IMG_8078.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8080.jpg
    IMG_8080.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8081.jpg
    IMG_8081.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8082.jpg
    IMG_8082.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8083.jpg
    IMG_8083.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8084.jpg
    IMG_8084.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8086.jpg
    IMG_8086.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 78

Greg2

Visit site
Looks like a nice bit of kit - congrats!

What material Is used in the manufacture of the tubes?

The reason I ask is that 3D are known for their very lightweight inflatables - we have one and it is great as I can take it off the snap davits and put it in a bag with shoulder straps so it is very manageable. Achieving the light weight is due to the tube material being thinner as I understand it. Knowing that I have always suspected that it might not be as robust or last as long as a tender as other makes might. We inherited it with the Hardy so no idea how old it is but we have used it for three and a half seasons and it has obviously been with the boat for a while and the tubes are not showing any signs of wear and tear. This year one has started to deflate a little over a few days but I suspect it might be a valve issue.

Wondering whether they adopt the same approach with larger RIBs or whether they uses different materials?
Edit: Should have asked Google first - from their website: The tubes are available in PVC Valmex® thermo-welded from the German company Melher or in HYPALON ORCA® fabric from the company Pennel et Flipo.

I am guessing that the Hypalon attracts a price premium?

I see that 3D also say ‘It is the best quality/price ratio on the market!’ I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Looks like a nice bit of kit - congrats!

What material Is used in the manufacture of the tubes?

The reason I ask is that 3D are known for their very lightweight inflatables - we have one and it is great as I can take it off the snap davits and put it in a bag with shoulder straps so it is very manageable. Achieving the light weight is due to the tube material being thinner as I understand it. Knowing that I have always suspected that it might not be as robust or last as long as a tender as other makes might. We inherited it with the Hardy so no idea how old it is but we have used it for three and a half seasons and it has obviously been with the boat for a while and the tubes are not showing any signs of wear and tear. This year one has started to deflate a little over a few days but I suspect it might be a valve issue.

Wondering whether they adopt the same approach with larger RIBs or whether they uses different materials?
Edit: Should have asked Google first - from their website: The tubes are available in PVC Valmex® thermo-welded from the German company Melher or in HYPALON ORCA® fabric from the company Pennel et Flipo.

I am guessing that the Hypalon attracts a price premium?

I see that 3D also say ‘It is the best quality/price ratio on the market!’ I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

You are correct about the Price Premium. I dont like Hypalon at all for various Reasons I bought the pvc Valmex. It looked very strong but time will tell.

I do feel it is incredible value for money.

For the Boat, Centre Console, Leaning Post Seat, Rear Bench Seat, Cushions, Extreme 750 Swing Trailer and light board, boat cover and delivery I paid a total of £10,089 incl VAT. There was a show price offer in this of about £600 from memory.

I generally never buy new but at this price I decided to go for it.

The decider for us was it was quite a long Rib, but still goes on an unbraked trailer, with a little headroom on the weight to spare and finally Her indoors liked it.... So it is her Christmas and Birthday Pressie :)

Greg2

Visit site
You are correct about the Price Premium. I dont like Hypalon at all for various Reasons I bought the pvc Valmex. It looked very strong but time will tell.

I do feel it is incredible value for money.

For the Boat, Centre Console, Leaning Post Seat, Rear Bench Seat, Cushions, Extreme 750 Swing Trailer and light board, boat cover and delivery I paid a total of £10,089 incl VAT. There was a show price offer in this of about £600 from memory.

I generally never buy new but at this price I decided to go for it.

The decider for us was it was quite a long Rib, but still goes on an unbraked trailer, with a little headroom on the weight to spare and finally Her indoors liked it.... So it is her Christmas and Birthday Pressie :)

That sounds like a good price for the package.

What sort of uplift is it for the Hypalon? Also interested to hear why you don’t like it?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That sounds like a good price for the package.

What sort of uplift is it for the Hypalon? Also interested to hear why you don’t like it?
The Uplift for Hypalon is £2,200 on this boat which is 30%. In my view Hypalon is outdated and there are much better modern materials available.

Hypalon easily marks (You can mark it with your thumb nail), It is susceptible to mould growth that gets under the surface.

Hypalon is I am told better in very hot climates due to UV damage. Well I live in the UK and always have a cover on my boat when not in use.

I have seen and been on several Hypalon and PVC boats and I just prefer PVC

Ferris

Visit site
Congrats on the new boat! There are a couple of larger 3D ribs in my local club for a few years and they still look brand new to be honest.

I actually came very close to buying an XPRO 490 from a local dealer as I am in a similar situation to yourself, having an existing outboard. The only problem was that I wanted a jockey console/seat instead of the leaning post and the dealer never got back to me with a final price, then a house build consumed the cash I had for it. Looking back it was actually a great deal that I was getting and the prices have gone up since - I probably should have gone for it.

My thoughts of buying a new hull with PVC tubes vs an older hull with Hypalon (say an old Avon searider) is that unless the older hull is in very good condition I would go for the PVC. I think you have done the absolute right thing and you'll have a great boat for a modest cost.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Congrats on the new boat! There are a couple of larger 3D ribs in my local club for a few years and they still look brand new to be honest.

I actually came very close to buying an XPRO 490 from a local dealer as I am in a similar situation to yourself, having an existing outboard. The only problem was that I wanted a jockey console/seat instead of the leaning post and the dealer never got back to me with a final price, then a house build consumed the cash I had for it. Looking back it was actually a great deal that I was getting and the prices have gone up since - I probably should have gone for it.

My thoughts of buying a new hull with PVC tubes vs an older hull with Hypalon (say an old Avon searider) is that unless the older hull is in very good condition I would go for the PVC. I think you have done the absolute right thing and you'll have a great boat for a modest cost.

Many thanks for those kind words. I am currently researching the best way to secure the console and seats etc.

I also struggled over the whole Jockey/leaning seat thing and in the end I realised that in my current 4.5m Rib I tended to stand 95% of the time so went with the kit supplied leaning seat.

QBhoy

Visit site
M
It all started at the Sough Hampton Boat Show 2023 where I rather liked the XPRO 535 from 3D Tender. The key thing for us it that it will fit on an unbraked trailer. We pondered over it while on Holiday in Lanzarote and decided to make the 720 mile round trip to Cornwall to have a better look. The upshot is I have placed an order for the Boat Package and trailer which includes the Boat, Front Console, Leaning seat, Cover and the Extreme EXT750 Swing trailer. I also ordered the B02 rear seat. Including delivery I will pay the Special Boatshow price. I have not ordered an engine but will fit my own once I have decided what to put on her. The Rib is only plated to 75hp but it is a light narrow boat and I will be happy with that.

Here are a few pics from our trip to Ocean First Marine the UK Distributor
Id be for a mercury all the way. Smart craft sc1000 gauges along with. Vessel view mobile device too. Amazing bit of Kit

Bigplumbs

Visit site
M

Id be for a mercury all the way. Smart craft sc1000 gauges along with. Vessel view mobile device too. Amazing bit of Kit
I am kitting it with what I have (Engine wise) so it can be light and simple and keeping the cost down. On a Rib gauges and all that linking to chart plotters is just a distraction and a bit pointless in my book

QBhoy

Visit site
I am kitting it with what I have (Engine wise) so it can be light and simple and keeping the cost down. On a Rib gauges and all that linking to chart plotters is just a distraction and a bit pointless in my book
Agree. I’m not linked to a plotter. But there £200 VesselView mobile device is an amazing thing for the money. Pin point accurate ecu data on fuel use, range etc etc. All the pressures and temps that gauges just don’t or can’t show too. Not to mention fault descriptions and control of them too. Should you eventually go down the more modern route, that is. I’ve got one for my mercruiser v8 mpi and for the mercury outboard too. Best money I’ve ever spent on a boat.
That said. If it’s that lively 2 stroke you had on the rib you brought and sat behind my mooring and boat, on the river leven…that was a lovely wee engine and lots to be said for that particular era and type of 2 stroke. Was it a 60 mariner or similar you had on tbat ? Can’t quite mind.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That piece of kit you describe does sound interesting and if I went modern engine would be interesting. The engine I have is similar to the one on the little rib but it is a 70 hp Yamaha 2 stroke that hopefully will be nice and lively on this new rib. Just playing the waiting game for delivery at the moment 👍

QBhoy

Visit site
That piece of kit you describe does sound interesting and if I went modern engine would be interesting. The engine I have is similar to the one on the little rib but it is a 70 hp Yamaha 2 stroke that hopefully will be nice and lively on this new rib. Just playing the waiting game for delivery at the moment 👍
For sure.
Now that 70 Yamaha does sound lovely. One of the best engines ever made, in my opinion. Can I ask what kind of age the Yamaha is ? You’ll almost certainly already be aware that most of the 70 Yamaha 2 strokes were basically the same engine as the 90hp version..just derated…but should you have one of the very last of them made, from around the early 2000’s (and later commercially available versions too)…there has always been rumours (never looked into it, admittedly) that some of these from that era, stating 70 on the hood…were actually in fact 90hp. Supposedly no restrictions or variance between the two, other than the numbers on the decals. How true this is, I’m not sure. Good story if nothing else ! All I know is that I’m aware of a lovely wee sims 154 (or something like that. The larger and later model from the 14ft super v) that boasts a lovely and much newer Yamaha 70 on her transom, made in the early 2000’s or around then. That 70hp certainly feels like it’s punching well above the numbers on the hood.
Anyway. Should I be lucky enough to have a lovely example of an engine like that…I’d likely struggle to find a good reason to hand over the sum of money required for brand new 4 stroke….and I’m dead certain I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of changing it out for anything 4 stroke from the earlier era of their existence. Best of luck with the new boat. Perhaps I’ll see her in person next time your up this way.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
For sure.
Now that 70 Yamaha does sound lovely. One of the best engines ever made, in my opinion. Can I ask what kind of age the Yamaha is ? You’ll almost certainly already be aware that most of the 70 Yamaha 2 strokes were basically the same engine as the 90hp version..just derated…but should you have one of the very last of them made, from around the early 2000’s (and later commercially available versions too)…there has always been rumours (never looked into it, admittedly) that some of these from that era, stating 70 on the hood…were actually in fact 90hp. Supposedly no restrictions or variance between the two, other than the numbers on the decals. How true this is, I’m not sure. Good story if nothing else ! All I know is that I’m aware of a lovely wee sims 154 (or something like that. The larger and later model from the 14ft super v) that boasts a lovely and much newer Yamaha 70 on her transom, made in the early 2000’s or around then. That 70hp certainly feels like it’s punching well above the numbers on the hood.
Anyway. Should I be lucky enough to have a lovely example of an engine like that…I’d likely struggle to find a good reason to hand over the sum of money required for brand new 4 stroke….and I’m dead certain I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of changing it out for anything 4 stroke from the earlier era of their existence. Best of luck with the new boat. Perhaps I’ll see her in person next time your up this way.
We will indeed be coming up that way early next year. I am not sure of the age of the yam but it is old. I will look at the plate when I am next at its location. Interesting about the power upgrade. I was not aware about that but now I will do some research. Many thanks. Just the wait for the boat to arrive now should be around Christmas I was told

Other threads that may be of interest