Bottom fouling in Mussel farming area

freddyuk

Visit site
I had the boat lifted and washed yesterday. She has been sitting in West Cork marina for exactly one year since last clean and antifoul with new anodes. Not moved due my back damage. We took her 15 miles to a marina with facilities.
From the top I could see the fringe of seaweed. Underneath was reasonably clean except for some normal slime and the mussels which grow fast into large clumps. Bigger than they serve up in the restaurant. Anodes were badly corroded or missing. Shore power had been connected on and off but I have solar to keep batteries charged.
Cost for work: Lift/jetwash euro 225 + Anodes 100 euro + 50 litres road diesel at euro 2.30 litre!! Tanks are being checked so you need proof of white diesel purchase as I had green diesel left in the tank. What a world we live in now. I didn't fill up as prices are about to go down.
If the boat was used more often I guess the mussels would not get a hold so quickly but the anodes would still dissolve.
Marina had the lift coming down the ramp as we arrived and she was lifted out washed with new anodes and replaced within 30 minutes. Excellent service.

Attachments

• IMG-20220716-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220716-WA0000.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20220716-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220716-WA0003.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-20220716-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220716-WA0004.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 56

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Interesting you have a prop AND shaft anode. Which degrades quickest? No room for a shaft anode on mine as there is no P bracket, the prop and 1kg hull anodes both disappear at an alarming rate.

freddyuk

Visit site
Dunno I just keep having them replaced! I will be monitoring in future as the engine seems to be working now and we should get some cruising done.

oldgit

Visit site
Several boats on our moorings have been lifted again this season due to a coating of weed around the water line and trim tabs plus a heavy coating of slime , despite being having been jetwashed and anti-fouled in early spring.
Not many barnycules this year.

BruceK

Visit site
Check all raw water feed pipes up to the pump for the blighters. They love nothing better than to grow inside and ruin your day out. This coming from a boat in Conwy estuary where of course the finest mussels are grown.....inside my drives and boat!