Boring old farts (BOF's)....

Romeo

Visit site
scottish licensing

New owner was merely obeying the licensing laws. It might be that he should have looked at providing a room (with no bar in it) which could be used by families. I am a family man and take my young kids sailing all the time. If however I choose to go to the pub after 8pm it is usually because I am having a bit of time off from family time and I am seeking adult company. Ergo I prefer my pub to be child free.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
sailing children - oh no, not here!

<children are the life blood of the club>

not all clubs...
i belonged to a dinghy racing club on the thames where most racing was on a sunday afternoon. no children were allowed to helm in the afternoon races but were segregated into morning sessions before everyone else turned up. you can imagine that with my 3 daughters i felt pretty unwelcome.

when the club introduced a wayfarer class there was strong opposition on the basis that wayfarers are family boats and would attract people with kids.

there is a solution- join another club!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Re: Which club? NM

From your previous postings I think you sail from the Lleyn peninsular and your club's initials are PSC. At that club, in my limited experience, the noisiest individuals are the corporately-rugby-shirted racing crews, rather than the kids.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alan43

Visit site
Re: Age old problem

It's possible you don't have time for committees, but being a "family man" shouldn't be used as an excuse.
You will find "family men" (and women) on the committees of just about all the parent-teachers associations, Scout groups, pony clubs, amateur theatrical & musical societies, etc., in the land; why not yacht clubs too?
What's the normal committment? One evening a month? Is that really too much?
Agreed that you should not have to be on the committee to have your views aired, but it would be reasonable for you to actively make them aware that you want those views aired - talk to at least one of them, or write to the secretary or chairman. Committe members are unlikely to be clairvoyant.
They are usually busy people too, and it takes time to conduct a referendum.

BOF's? Maybe, but it's a bit of a cheap shot, and has no bearing on how they are doing the job.
People voluntarily giving up some of their time for the benefit of others? Certainly.

I think that EVERY member of a voluntary association like a boat club should be prepared to serve for a time on its committee. If you take your turn, you will be able to bring a "family man" perspective to the discussions & decisions.
(FWIW, yes, I did serve on committees while my four children were young.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Which club? NM

The group's you mention are not the one's I had in mind, they are only there fleetingly after the racing, and generally liven the place up with a buzzy atmosphere.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Age old problem

<BOF's? Maybe, but it's a bit of a cheap shot, and has no bearing on how they are doing the job.
People voluntarily giving up some of their time for the benefit of others? Certainly.>

Well in this instance I disagree about being the beneficiary, this decision looks like being for the benefit of themselves morelike. BOF's is a touch of humour borrowed from Will Carling, if it is a cheap shot, then it comes with the poor decision, which actually is reflective of how the job is being done.

I have been on committees of sailing clubs in the past, but the point I make is that my time priorities are elsewhere. Being 165 miles away, the geographics of getting there are difficult, and as I say, I have no desire to be join, just wanting to express my view here, and many seem to agree.

<hr width=100% size=1>