Boom roller reefing gear

Dug1

Visit site
Wanted (ideally) Barton boom roller reefing gear for my 19 feet Fantasie to replace the seized solid original fitting, any one have one?

Dug1

Visit site
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I have attempted to strip the unit and got so far but the worm pinion (into which fits the reefing handle) has seized in the fitting and so far cannot be drifted out.
Consequently the tufnol main gear to which it is in mesh although not seized will not come off its' post.
So I'm stuck for now - {:O(

Doug

Dug1

Visit site
Thanks for the helpful responses and I will try the Fantasie owners forum. A friend is as I write preparing to hammer hell out of the worm pinion in a last ditch effort to shift it (at the risk of damaging the teeth on the tufnol main gear) - fingers crossed!

Doug

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Thanks for the helpful responses and I will try the Fantasie owners forum. A friend is as I write preparing to hammer hell out of the worm pinion in a last ditch effort to shift it (at the risk of damaging the teeth on the tufnol main gear) - fingers crossed!

Doug

Before he does, get him to apply a blow torch and heat it up... you never know the heat sometimes helps! :)

Dug1

Visit site
Dave (my mate) took a drift to the pinion gear and it came out with a bit of persuasion and cursing, without damaging the tufnol gear thanks goodness!
So I no longer need a replacement and have become an authority on Barton roller reefing gears, so it was all worth it?

Doug

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Dave (my mate) took a drift to the pinion gear and it came out with a bit of persuasion and cursing, without damaging the tufnol gear thanks goodness!
So I no longer need a replacement and have become an authority on Barton roller reefing gears, so it was all worth it?

Doug

Brilliant!

Well I've had two boats with them and despite what the majority of people say on here I like it for its simplicity! :)

I've been on boats with single line and slab reefing and I would say that despite what their supporters say, they can suffer from snagged and stuck lines...