Boom And Mast Riddle (A few pics)

Pandoramark1

Visit site
(fixed pics, they didn't link load Sorry)
Morning All,

So after a weekend where "Project Pandora" has been set back due to a car accident (some one drove into me), I though I would use the power of the forum to help me sort out more less physical problems out.

First off I am struggling to identify the following Mast head NAV light, I am not keen on getting a new one as it is in relative good order, and the wiring is also good, anyone have any ideas?

My next riddle is the boom, I seem to have a great deal of gear that I have no idea what it is for / why it is there. Now I know I am about to show my ignorance to sailing terms etc so sorry about that!

So in the picture below I am happy with the pulleys on the underside of the boom as these go down to the mainsheet cam cleat in the cockpit floor, I think the red vertical line is the sail Clew position, now here is where I get unstuck. I can't understand what the little horizontal pulley is for to the left of the red vertical line, I though this was to pull the clew tight and then tie off against a cleat that is out of the picture however the rope would Frey against the metal housing, so no idea what it's purpose is.

We then have a carabiner and block at the end of the boom again no idea what these are for? I hope someone out there will be able to guide this novice in the correct direction.

Next I suspect that I have a roller reefing boom? however I am unable to turn it in either direction, will this require a handle or key to turn it as currently it has a small amount of movement but then stops (as if it is locked) there is a hole on the topside that looks like it would accept something but not sure what? Any ideas

As always thanks in advance for your time and reponses

Kind Regards
PMK1

Last edited:

SHUG

Visit site
Lots of questions!!
The horizontal pulley looks like it is for a clew outhall. I would expect a line to go around it, go along the inside of the boom and emerge at the gooseneck.

Many mashead lights are by Hella and you could web-browse to see if you can find a matching one. Alternatively you can look up the ASAP web page as they have a good selection. Alternatively, its obselete and you won't find a thing!!
The block at the end of the boom could be for a topping lift or a preventor.
The roller reefing could require a crank handle with a 1/4inch square drive on the end which goes into the hole in the roller reefing block.

A Pandora (PANCHO) was my first cruiser and I thought it was great boat.When I think back to some of the conditions sailed in.....brrrrrr...me blood runs cold!!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Red band is probably a mark for maximum position of the clew.

Fixed horizontal pulley may be for taking a reef pennant forward?

Carbine hook at boom end - tie off for topping lift.

Block at boom end - clew outhaul line? May go from the fixed eye through the block and forward to the cam cleat?

Masthead light - no idea, but the tri-coloured cover is missing. It would be worth testing the resistance in the cable for this light as if it's too much it will reduce the performance of the light. Now would be an ideal time to replace it.

Not a roller reefing boom. otherwise the mainsheet blocks would be on a swivel at the cockpit end of the boom. It may once have had roller reefing, judging by the Tufnol roller at the goose neck, but I don't think so. That corrosion at the goose neck needs to be cleaned up and then take a good look at its conditions. It's a stressed part and needs to be in good order.

Usual caveats apply!

prv

Visit site
I think it's an ex-roller reefing boom that has been modified for slab reefing. The ram's horns don't look original to me. The mainsheet fitting was probably originally on a swivel attached to the stainless plate visible at the clew end.

The hole through the boom just above the gooseneck will be for a pin to hold the tack of the sail, which presumably has a boltrope that runs in the top of the boom. The cheek block and clam cleat on the side of the boom could be for a reefing pendant, although they look a bit lightweight Maybe they're just about adequate for a small rig, and being DIYed the possibility is always there that the person doing it simply made a poor choice. You'd need to see the sail and where the clew reefing point is to judge if this is plausible or not. Is there a similar arrangement on the other side for another reef? Also the clam cleat doesn't quite line up with the block - is there another one out of shot?

The nav light internals look very similar to mine, which is an Aqua Signal one, although possibly other manufacturers make close copies? If their handheld searchlights are anything to go by, AS are expensive and if you don't have the rest of the fitting it may well be cheaper to buy a NASA LED fitting or similar instead.

Pete

Last edited:

ianat182

Visit site
I replied at some length to your queries but the system lost it,however I agree with Ken's ideas but suggest the carabiner may be for a topping lift to hold the boom up above head height. As Ken said the roller reefing looks a bit sad and you'd need a handle with squared end to fit,but slab reefing is preferred by many nowadays and can be fixed to operate from the cockpit. If you check your mainsail you may find some small eyelets at the first and second reef cringle positions across the sail ,these will be for small ties to lash the slabbed sail to the boom; with slab reefing you can still use the kicking strap as is. Each reef cringle will fit over the ram's horn at the tack end of the boom,whilst the othe cringle is tensioned ,like a clew outhaul around the pulley and back through the cleat and clamcleat. The tighter this out haul the better sail shape will result when reefed.
If you have to replace the masthead light the brand name frequently used is Aquasignal who make individual lights or tricolour in a single housing - but their prices are £13.95 for the 12M signal light as a tricolour single unit including a 12v/10W bulb(@£2.95 each-get a spare!).I referred to Force 4 Chandlery catalogue for the prices page 78.

ianat182

prv

Visit site
their prices are £13.95 for the 12M signal light as a tricolour single unit

Ah, ok, that's a lot less than I suggested - glad to hear it. I was basing my assessment on their prices for searchlights which were hundreds more than others were charging when I looked last year.

Pete

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Ah, ok, that's a lot less than I suggested - glad to hear it. I was basing my assessment on their prices for searchlights which were hundreds more than others were charging when I looked last year.

Pete

That is incredible cheap!! I've just been quoted over £60 for just a replacement Tricolour Lens from Aquasignal (but out of stock in Germany). For a series 40 Tricolour Lamp. Look on ebay for a replacement complete Tricolour Lamp. This one looks a good price:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRICOLOUR-N12...ts_WatersportsClothing_CA&hash=item20b37ea85a

VicS

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the car accident all repairable and no injuries I hope

The light fitting is almost certainly a fairly old type Aqua Signal one. I cannot tell if it's a tricolour or an all-round white.
You do not say if you have the lens. If you do not then a replacement may or may not be available depending on age but not readily available even if it is in theory. Also expensive. Worth looking at the NASA LED lights .. they will be cheaper I suspect that a lens for an Aqua Signal. As already suggested

The boom looks like something cobbled together on to a Roller reefing goose neck assembly. Not the original boom I'd think although the reefing assembly probably is.

My guess is that the block on the end is for an adjustable clew out-haul and the carabiner for the topping lift. But why a carabiner rather than a shackle I dont know. They may be part of the reefing though ???

Id guess the small cheek block is for a reefing line but too small if it is. The lacing eye and the jammer probably for it as well.

The collection of blocks dangling from the underside looks an odd set up but if you are happy with it thats fair enough

The reefing gear does need a small handle that fits into the square socket. as said above. The little hole on the top is for oiling. It has probably seized up by now! To utilize it you would also need the main sheet and topping lift to be fitted on to a swivel fitting on the boom end. So forget it! Improve on the slab reefing.

Sorry for repeating what has alredy been said ... Great minds and all that :)

I'd suggest you try to find another Pandora and have a look at what is fitted.

Some pictures of a similar roller reefing goose neck on a boom to which improvised rams-horns have been added and also a Barton reefing kit for slab reefing:

DSCF0423.jpg

DSCF0474.jpg

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
carabiner for the topping lift. But why a carabiner rather than a shackle I dont know.

On small boats some people advocate stowing the boom by clipping it onto a short lanyard hanging from the backstay, instead of having a full topping lift setup which isn't really needed with a light boom.

Or, again, simply that the previous owner had a carbine hook to hand and not a shackle.

Pete

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
On small boats some people advocate stowing the boom by clipping it onto a short lanyard hanging from the backstay, instead of having a full topping lift setup which isn't really needed with a light boom.

Pete

Some Westerlies do that. In addition to a conventional topping lift they have a short wire crimped to the backstay with a snap shackle on the end. Best of both worlds.
A conventional topping lift when that is the more suitable and the other to support the boom when not sailing.

Pandoramark1

Visit site
As always everyone has given me plenty to think about, to answer some questions that have come up. The NAV light on the mast that is all I have of it, so think I will replace with a LED one as suggested.

I will go over the boom when feeling better and see if I can give it a good services. Was planning on rigging it this weekend however that is on hold, once I do this based on everyone’s feedback I should be able to piece together what is going on.

Thank you all very much.:D

PMK1

Wunja

Visit site
Another photo of a tufnol reefing goose neck

DSC04355.jpg

Its been reversed, the mechanism either removed or through drilled and reefing horns attached.

And if anyone knows where I can get a replacement vertical pin, it really needs replacing!

Lakesailor

Visit site
On the question of a carbine rather than a shackle. I replaced a shackle with a carbine hook to make it easier to take the boom off.
Some times single handed and with a bolt rope main it is easier to take the boom and sail off and store it in the cabin than to flake the sail down if the wind is a bit lively.

Couple of rough sail ties, unclip the kicking strap and main halyard, unclip the topping lift and mainsheet (from the transom mount) slide it back off the gooseneck and the whole lot, boom sail and mainsheet, slots into the cabin.

VicS

Visit site
Me too... if you can put together the slab reefing system it's far better than roller - and I speak as someone who has roller...

Me also ... as one who has, as the earlier photos indicate, converted from roller reefing to slab reefing.

The OP would need a swivel on the boom end for topping lift and main sheet in order to use roller reefing

Mike2309

Visit site
Me too

My Pandora also has exactly the same modified boom arrangement. I had thought it to be a replacement but look at the original brochure (see below) - it was originally roller reefed and necessarily, the mainsheet attachment was to the pivot at the boom end (don't know what they did about the kicking strap) I suppose the mainsheet was shifted to midboom to get it out of the helmsmans way (though it now attaches to the cockpit sole right in your way when you want to dive below)

Last edited:

Mike2309

Visit site
No attachment - sorry

Can't get the attaching of the brochure to work. Perhaps it's too big. Copying and pasting into the body of the message does not work either. It would help if one could be told why when these things are not going to happen.
I'll send you (the OP) a PM (under plain wrapper !)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Mike,

On roller reefing booms the kicker ended in a sort of horse shoe affair, itself equipped with a roller at each open end. That went under the boom and partially around it so that the sail could roll within the kickers 'claw'.

found a pic (but not a very good one)

th_2007_09131st-pics0017.jpg

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Mike,

On roller reefing booms the kicker ended in a sort of horse shoe affair, itself equipped with a roller at each open end. That went under the boom and partially around it so that the sail could roll within the kickers 'claw'.

th_2007_09131st-pics0017.jpg

Slightly better one here....http://www.tridentuk.com/sailing/product-YS_175mm_Reefing_Claw-YS7167C.html

In my mind the OP needs to decide how he wants to proceed before investing any money or time..??

I would still recommend slab reefing over roller if possible... if the sail is the original it should still have the reefing holes etc, looks like the boom has the pulleys.... if the roller hasn't been used in a while it may even have jammed and be unusable anyway....

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site

Oi thats my picture you are criticizing ... it looks better full size. (how did you find it? Its in a non public album)

It was only taken to illustrate the parts of a kicking strap assembly that I was selling to someone I sort of knew.

I dont think that claw ring would be suitable for a boom with that flat cross section. I used it on a traditional round boom.

The roller reefing system (original equipment) was pretty poor. That is why I converted to slab reffing (and sold the bits for the kicking strap).

My advice to the Op would be not to waste time and money reinstating the old roller system. Put the dosh and the time into improving the slab reefing.

Interesting to learn that the boom is probably original. A little bit of research had suggested to me that it might be despite my initial reaction.

2007_09131st-pics0017.jpg