Books on boat maintenance

paulsellars

Visit site
Hello,
Is there a FAQ for this forum?

Can anyone recommend books on yacht maintenance?
I'm a beginner so would prefer introductory books but preferably
covering all the main areas, or will I need to buy several books to get
this coverage.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

PaulJ

Visit site
My vote would go to Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" which covers most of what the average boat owner needs to know. At £35 it's a bit pricey (and it may have gone up since I got mine!) but it will save you a lot more than that in the long run.

G

Hi there, Paul!
My vote is for "The Boat Repair Manual" by George Buchanan. I have the norwegian translation of this, and it's just great!! It gives you all aspects of how to maintain your boat, engine, outboard, rigging and a whole lot more. Covers GRP, Aluminium, Steel, Lapstrake and Carvel (wood), ferrocement, Strip-planking and how to repair - and maintain these different hulls. As some other poster says, You have the option to buy Nigel Calders book, but although a whole lot more detailed, concentrates mainly on onboard systems. Great book to by later when you have build up confidence.
I myself is working on a rather big project (47') and gradually building up know-how and confidence. Please feel free to check it out at http://home.world-online.no/~dreggen

Sincerely,

Pelle

paulsellars

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Looks like the Calder book.
I've checked the amazon.com (the US site) site and it gets lots of good review

Paul