Boatshouse Swanwick

PhillM

Visit site
New management, nice refit but a bit of a disapointment really. Management seem to be trying to get it right but staff are dreadful. Some staff seem to think that customer's are a bit of a nusiance.

Menu is limited and food is poor quality. Not what you expect at all. Examples: Panni is just that, it comes on its own, now salad nor garnish not even crisps or chips. Breakfast includes the skinnest sausages I have ever seen.

At last's week's BBQ they told my wife she couldnt have a glass of wine because they had run out of glasses. The BBQ ran out of food by 8.30.

Oh and dogs are not welcome. I overheard one of the staff telling off a berth holder because he wanted to bring his dogs to the bar so he could order a drink. Not quite "excuse me sir, can I help you" but more like "whats that dog doing in here" attitude.

Strange really, the chain has a good reputation for their other locations. Hopefully enough people will complain and they will do somthing about it.

Last edited:

P4Paul

Visit site
Went twice, the second time just to see if our first experience was a one-off due to having just opened but nope, just as bad the second time.

Go to the ship if you want food, open your boat fridge if you want a drink.....

PhillM

Visit site
Went again last night and to be fair it was better. I had a nice steak and SWIMBO has one of the specials. Much friendlier service. However it was a Monday Evening and it was virtually empty so they would have been hard pressed not to offer good service.

Last edited:

gerry99

www.freedom.co.uk
I was there recently and had to order and pay for my beer from one person serving at one till then go and order my food from a different person and pay for it at another till! I don't think they have heard of process efficiency, i.e. order it all in one go and pay for it all in one go!

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Anybody been recently ?
Has it got any better ?
Some friends have booked it for Wednesday night and asked us along, should we try and suggest another venue?

P4Paul

Visit site
We popped in on a quiet Friday lunch time two or three weeks ago and stayed for lunch. To be fair it was quite good value for money.

Went back in the evening and left straight away, the noise was incredible. It seems to have returned to being the local pub rather than a marina restaurant with a bar.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame them chasing the cash but it just isn't my kind of place to relax and eat when it is full of p1ssed up people needing to shout at their mates just to be heard over the top of the other p1ssed up bellends shouting their mouths off. And yes I know that sometimes I am that p1ssed up bellend! :D

For food we walk to the Ship or along the river to Nellies in Universal but always phone Nellies first to make sure they are open!

wjf

Visit site
Maybe it was good that you didn't eat there! Just noticed that Boathouse Gosport has just received a hygiene score of 1 star (major improvement necesssary) 5 star is top and most decent establishments achieve 4.

wjf

Visit site
Just looked at the hygiene ratings again and have to say that I am shocked to see that the Boathouse at Swanwick also only has 1 star!!
It's quite deplorable.

Solitaire

Visit site
Went for lunch today. The food really is rubbish ! I ordered a burger which was burnt and dry. When you cut into it the cereal content was evident. I sent it back and ordered the steak. Now what can I say? Asked for it medium rare, great it was. But a tasteless bit if rubbery meat that cost £10:eek:

Sorry, but they really do need to try harder to match the location and the ambiance. My friend had he chicken Caesar salad that was more salad than chicken and they "forgot" to put the Parmesan on. A guy arrived wearing rubber gloves and a saucer of Parmesan shavings.

Frankly a real disgrace. I will never eat there again under the current regime .:mad:

OAF

Visit site
Shame it's not so good as since it's been revamped it looks great IMHO but the food is limited and is not up to the same standard as the revamp is:( ship for me for decent pub grub, decent beer, in the area

Solitaire

Visit site
Shame it's not so good as since it's been revamped it looks great IMHO but the food is limited and is not up to the same standard as the revamp is:( ship for me for decent pub grub, decent beer, in the area

My "local" tended to be the Spinaker after Valsheda's closed. But that will be closed from now for about 6 weeks undergoing a total revamp after having been sold and taken over. I like the redesign of the Boathouse, but the food sucks frankly. Will not east there again. Mind you, they probably won't serve me after this:rolleyes:

PhillM

Visit site
Just looked at the hygiene ratings again and have to say that I am shocked to see that the Boathouse at Swanwick also only has 1 star!!
It's quite deplorable.

Shocking. Didn't quite beleive it (sorry wjf) so looked it up myself:

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business...use&refla=tCX8mRLyzhw=&sm=1&st=1&pi=0&las=134

I notice that they were inspected in May, so they had been open a while by then. I am suprised Premier put up with it - it does nothing for the Marina's reputation.

nightjar

Visit site
If its the same arrangement as Gosport's Boat House Cafe then Premier just lease out the premises. They appear to have little control if any over the actual running of the business. The Boat House is also rated 1* - Needs Immediate Improvement.

xcw

Visit site
I went to the one in Gosport earlier this year. They had run out of steak so had the "homemade burger" not sure whose home it was made in but certainly not the kitchen of The Boat House, more likely the kitchen of Bookers or Iceland. Won't be returning.

OAF

Visit site
My "local" tended to be the Spinaker after Valsheda's closed. But that will be closed from now for about 6 weeks undergoing a total revamp after having been sold and taken over. I like the redesign of the Boathouse, but the food sucks frankly. Will not east there again. Mind you, they probably won't serve me after this:rolleyes:

Stayed over at the spinnaker in the past but never rated the food there, very pub grubby, if you get my drift, breakfasts were ok though:D

Doubt you will get banned from the boat house, they won't turn away business;)

Will be interesting o see what the spinnaker is like after a revamp, might just have to give it a try:D