Boats fitting the Jester Challenge

hhsailor

Visit site
Hi @all Jester Challengers,

While I fully agree with the Jester Challenge principles, I wonder, which kind of boats are fitting best.
When looking at the results of JAC08, I think the "winner", Dominique Katan with his "Nea-Kameni" deserved his position highly.
His boat was as small, as Jester was: 25feet.
In addition I found his boat to be hard-chine constructed of plywood, which seem to match the "low-budget" attribute.

That he reached the finish first, though his boat was 5 feet shorter, than the biggest competitors, while also having a simple-construction hull, seems extraordinary.
Does someone here knows about his secret, how to achieve this success?

Also I didn't found any details of his boat "Mistral 7.5".
Maybe someone here has some hints to find out more about it's construction?
It may be a good shape and plan for selfbuilding of a seacruiser.

hhsailor

Visit site
I think Ewen best sums it up on the JAC web site

Maybe I missed something?
I found the info on the voyage of Katan very meager.

But though maybe someway competing, I think the Minitransat-development should be watched closely by the JC.
While having a look, if the "low-budget"-criteria will be matched.
I didn't find out, if selfbuilding is a supported option of the Mistral.
If so, it's an interesting design.

Speed is also a helpful feature when crossing oceans.
Is there meanwhile also known, if this kind of design is working well with heavy weather?

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I don't think there is a kit for the Mistal 750. I know that Dom participated to the building of his boat. I think as support to the professional team.
In France we have several "equivalent" designs. Some may be bought as pre-cutted kit.
The building processus is plywood assembled with glass epoxy cover on both sides and epxy glud stiffeners.
It's rather fast and easy to build, adapted to small series but the material is expensive.
The results are stiff and light boats.
Eric

hhsailor

Visit site
Bonjour
In France we have several "equivalent" designs. Some may be bought as pre-cutted kit.
The building processus is plywood assembled with glass epoxy cover on both sides and epxy glud stiffeners.
It's rather fast and easy to build, adapted to small series but the material is expensive.
Is it really expansive?
I remember a design - maybe 25 years ago - which I made my first sailing experiences: that was the "Mirror" 11' Dinghy, also designed for selfbuilding, and too by the use of plywood and glass-epoxy. I think, that has been successful.

helixkimara

Visit site
Its the ocean

I own a sailboat that is, surprisingly, faster than the Mistral 7.5 AND smaller again than its 25 feet. But it depends on a lot of good luck in the weather and strength, determination, stamina and SEAMANSHIP of the skipper. (very similar to the Mistral)You can still get them. They are called “Windsurfer”.
Dominic could handle his and is, by all accounts an excellent seaman.

Ask yourself “Do I feel lucky”

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I own a sailboat that is, surprisingly, faster than the Mistral 7.5 AND smaller again than its 25 feet. But it depends on a lot of good luck in the weather and strength, determination, stamina and SEAMANSHIP of the skipper. (very similar to the Mistral)You can still get them. They are called “Windsurfer”.
Dominic could handle his and is, by all accounts an excellent seaman.

Ask yourself “Do I feel lucky”

Malcome, does this mean that you will be taking your windsurfer to Newport? If so how do you make a cup of tea? More importantly how many buckets do you require? Eric and I have never resolved the argument over three buckets versus one bucket.

In answer to the original question I think when we saw 'Nea Kameni' at Plymouth many of us thought the French will win again. As it wasn't hard to tell in 2006 that Eric would be first over the line in 'Sterren'.

And there is always the argument* that we promote in Jester circles that it is the sailor that makes the difference not the boat. Maybe the French are just better sailors, but I'd like to think it is their flat bottomed water ballasted sleds.

*I have a hankering after a long keel boat that doesn't slam when it comes off the top of a wave and I suggested to my spouse that perhaps I would be safer if I replaced 'Glayva' [flat bottomed fin keeler] but she came back with the argument that it's not the boat but the sailor. So I had to toss that idea out the window.

helixkimara

Visit site
Well after much thought, and as you raise the question of making tea, I have asked myself the question again. "Do I feel lucky" and come up with the answer " NO " so have decided against the windsurfer as being foolhardy mainly because my windvane self steering system would sink it. Also I have put a little on around the tummy area and would "roll off" if I fell asleep.
Still looking for a boat. Not going to make the JC2010 which is upsetting especially the 50th.
regards
Malcome