Boats DO NOT Like Being Left!

Dougal

Visit site
Been aboard now for about 4 weeks after the boat was left unattended for the best part of 2 years! In the 4 weeks so far, the following items have all failed catastrophically: Facnor roller furling, MLR GPS system, Autohelm Depth Sounder, backup bilge pump, mid mast running light, Clipper Windspeed indicator, Pilot gas alarm, engine oil pressure sender unit, leaking engine exhaust hose into rear locker, deisel filler pipe, Morse throttle cable, Dolfin 30amp auto charger, heads pump, fridge, Lewmar deck hatches leaked and destroyed head lining... And this list is increasing daily!!!
Don't leave your pride & joy unattended without expecting a severe financial kick in the butt. Going to be an expensive and hard working season:(

KAL

Visit site
Sorry to hear. Hope you have fun fettling.

There’s a once-lovely Centaur moored not too far from us, that has been there for several years, all year, with no-one ever being seen to go aboard. She is well-founded, doesn’t seem to be any lower in the water, has radar fitted and I’m sure could be an amazing boat for someone with a bit of work. She was obviously once someone’s pride and joy.

She’s completely green, fouled and I reckon her sails, running rigging and dodgers would need to go on a bonfire. What she’s like below, after all this time, is anyone’s guess, but someone must have been paying the mooring and harbour fees all this time.

Such a pity when a sound little boat is allowed to rot away like that.

Wansworth

Visit site
I leave my boat unattended from late July to early June the following year in the Uk so far on returning everything has been fine this year because of the more extreme cold weatherI am hoping all is still Ok.Maybe the pipes from the wTer tank have come adrift through freezing or the engine has been affected although it had antifreeze.Normally it’s not damp as I have a good flow of air through,fingers crossed all is well!

PaulJS

Visit site
Guilty boat owner here, but not for much longer!
I haven't even seen my boat for about 6 months, but as I am currently working my notice, I hope to give her some TLC in the very near future... Might even get her bottom wet this year!

RupertW

Visit site
A couple of years would not be good but we leave our boat afloat and unattended in a marina for 4-6 months every winter and always find it fine apart from minor warp chafe. We do leave all bedding and clothes on board but in bin bags.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Dougal,

A few years back I bought, via the forum, a Pilot Mini gas alarm with sensor. It was sold as working.

I never fitted it. It may or may not work.

If you'd like it (alarm & sensor) it's yours for the price of the P&P.

PM me.

Note to others: This offer is exclusive to Dougal. :)

Dougal

Visit site
May I suggest that the boat was not prepared for a long layup correctly.
You may indeed lol. Though quite how one "prepares" electronic devices other than the usual keeping them dry, I'm not quite sure. One can't really prepare for cancer either, which is why the poor old soul (the boat that is), was left unattended last year:( Goods get old. Doesn't matter how much you prepare for those things failing. In all honesty, to suggest the fault lays with the user is a little err.....:)

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We were unable to get to the boat last year for health reasons, so it has been 18 months since we were on board. Mostly the condition of the boat has been good because we normally lay up intending to be absent for six months anyway. Batteries had given up, although relatively new. Some water leakage into the lower shroud chainplates has led to some corrosion (see on the website) but the biggest problem is that the Sparcraft/Francespar backstay adjuster has seized. Does anyone know if I can remove the grub screw holding the two drop down arms to lubricate inside, bearing in mind that the backstay is under a lot of tension?

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
The boat is just throwing a hissy fit. Give it a stern talking to! :)

"it"!! "Her" man! You really want to irritate her, call her "it" (try that with your wife and see where that gets you :) )

Nothing adds value and makes a boat look and work better than using her. When I wake up at anchor I'll take a rag and use the morning dew to clean the deck, all those little jobs gets done, and engine and all equipment gets used. Bet the Ops boat is shining after four weeks on board,.

I just wish I had more time to do just that - too much time spent paying for her than actually using her. Bring on retirement... only 35 years off... hmmm...

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You may indeed lol. Though quite how one "prepares" electronic devices other than the usual keeping them dry, I'm not quite sure. One can't really prepare for cancer either, which is why the poor old soul (the boat that is), was left unattended last year:( Goods get old. Doesn't matter how much you prepare for those things failing. In all honesty, to suggest the fault lays with the user is a little err.....:)
I am sorry to hear about the Cancer, my late father died of it and I understand how debilitating it can be.

When I prep the boat for a winter ashore I ensure that it is well ventilated, that all electrical bits are well protected to inhibit corrosion and that engine type stuff are protected in the same way. Others remove cushions etc, but I've never had an issue with damp.