Boating Product Investment oportunity

Three kings

Visit site
would be more interesting if the product was explained in more detail - without having to join yet another website :)

+1

If the product is good enough just explain it. Having to 'join' your website means you get to inundate me with **** long after I have said I am no longer interested.

Then more **** from the 'selected partners' you sell the lists to.

sighmoon

Visit site
You have to join seedrs to invest, to show you accept the onerous terms. The terms are Seedr's not Mr Chicken's, but still...

The link in his footer explains the product. FWIW, I think it's genius, but can't be used motoring, or downwind, and (in my opinion) requiring too much tweaking, to be a substitute for an auto pilot or wind vane.

However, if there was a cheap version which didn't require any installation prior to use, I'd be interested (as a customer, not an investor).

Three kings

Visit site
Fair enough. Just checked the steersman.net site and the product is explained in detail. It wouldn't be my cup of tea but fair dues to you for having the balls to innovate.

But I still hate those join first sites..................

prv

Visit site
The invention has been knocking around for a few years. Basically you unbolt your winches, mount them on top of his bulky metal platforms, and fit the platforms where the winches were (don't know if they fit the same bolt holes though). The whole caboodle can then be set up with springs, bungees, and bits of stick to move a tiller based on the load in the jib sheet on the winch.

Can't say it appeals to me much compared to a traditional windvane.

Pete

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
I think it looks great

I think it looks very good

fewer moving parts than a wind vane I would guess

less vulnerable to damage I would have thought

should work in almost any wind condition

it is all inside the cockpit - which has got to be a good thing

looks a bit expensive

and

Katie L has no winches

apart from that....

good on ya

incidentally

here is his video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGEwxEOQYIc

and here is the video youtube served up next - it is about a self steering system being used on drascombe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhgfnxApXUc

which appears to require two bits of plywood

Last edited:

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Hope it can retail for less than £235 ( wholesale price of around £150 )

http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetail.aspx?c=145475&l=g&cc=GB#.UM-Kum_tSJo

and sail to a set magnetic course.
not a good comparison.... as it gets windy, a tillerpilot will give up.... a fairer comparion is a wind vane, and they're generally several grand. OK, so it wont sail to a magnetic course, but really?... is that a big deal?

I quite like the idea... simple and keeps the transom clear.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Think the details to this device were posted here as much as a couple of years ago. hhmmm Oct 22 2011

I got a quote on a set for my boat and was surprised to find that it had been pitched at a market value price ie: just less than a windvane. May even have the email from the fella somewhere .......
Ahh yes -- from my linked in contact with the developer

As for the price, The complete assembly which includes the port and starboard platform assemblies, the spring, the link arm to the helm, and all the fittings (excluding the winches) is £2,125.00 + vat and is suitable for boats between about 27ft up to about 37ft LOA.

My decision was that I'd prefer a proven windvane system for that kind of money even if it was one of the kit builds ( The Holland kit comes in at €1200 ) or a second hand unit.

Last edited:
Visit site
Mostly sailing a magnetic course is what I do. Having the course changing with the wind direction is very unpredictable but having the sails luffing or oversheeted is a better option in busy waters in my opinion. The unit requires adjustment of bungy cords to achieve the constant course but what happens when the wind strength changes?

Not being able to use it when motoring is a real disadvantage. I usually motor into the wind when setting sails etc.

Autopilots work at least up to F6 and when running downwind. And if you spec the unit higher will work anywhere. None of the Vendee Globe yachts are using windvane steering. They are all using autopilots.

Is it really any different to just setting up the balance of the boat to sail a constant apparent wind heading with the rudder locked?

I cant see how this unit would have a commercial market unless its cheap.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
The Vendee boats have pretty darned expensive auto pilots, and all carry spares because they're unreliable.

In reality, you wouldn't use something like this in crowded waters, any more than you would a windvane unless you were on watch... it, i'd guess, would fulfill the same role as a windvane... passage making, where making the right angle to the wind is a reasonable option.

However, agree... it needs to be quite a lot less than a windvane to have a market...

nickd

Visit site
Probably a lot of arguments for and against, but for me the overiding one is that it is pig ugly and pemanently fixed to the boat and for that reason I'm out.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Took a quick look

Seems only suitable for boats of a size where it's competing with tiller autopilots?

For people who go blue water in smallish boats who knows; but it looks damn ugly, seems expensive, and frankly I ain't unbolting my primary winches for anything...

I reckon the market is limited