Boat Transporters in west Wales who have a crane

westwind28

Visit site
Hello,

I have purchased a boat near Pembroke dock, Im looking to get it transported very soon. Its a 24 foot x 8 bilge keel, approx 2,000 kg The flatbed would have to have a crane because where the boat is going (Cardigan) there is no crane / sling equipment. Does anyone know of a Flatbed boat transporter with crane in west wales. Hope to find in west wales to keep the price down. I have ads on Shiply and Uship. A guy in North wales wants £1,200 to deliver from Pembroke to Cardigan. (40 miles) Abit out of my price range. If anyone knows please advise, also, is it possible to have a flatbed that can lower my boat into the water without a crane?

Last edited:

TSB240

Visit site
Does it need a boat transporter or a flat bed with decent size Hiab? Just phone around the wagon hire places and forget "boat" transporters.
Finding a flat bed with a Hiab in west wales is the best bet. BUT I very much doubt there are many operators around. Insurance is another matter.

Having just travelled yesterday from North Wales to Aberystwyth and back I reckon the price quoted is fair!

oldgit

Visit site
Was quoted by a company with a lowloader complete with a Hiab the sum of £1500.00 from North Wales to Kent for a 35ft mobo.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
£1200 for 40 mile trip is very expensive. Whilst not quite the same, I paid £300 for a 30 mile delivery for my 21 ft boat on its own trailer (not road legal) on a 40 ft caravan transporter and that included setting up long ramps for loading and off loading. Total time from arriving at my house to offloading at marina was about 4 hours.

TSB240

Visit site
£1200 for 40 mile trip is very expensive. Whilst not quite the same, I paid £300 for a 30 mile delivery for my 21 ft boat on its own trailer (not road legal) on a 40 ft caravan transporter and that included setting up long ramps for loading and off loading. Total time from arriving at my house to offloading at marina was about 4 hours.

Yes the load is only moving 40 miles! But there is a 7 and a half hour round trip from North Wales (excluding loading and unloading) included in a very Fair Price! You might as well be driving to Kent.......

Op has specified a Hiab as boat is not on its own trailer and no crane in available.

westwind28

Visit site
Thats why im not interested in a Hiab in North wales. I have found about 5 local Hiabs, ill let you know how it goes. Iv yet to contact all of them

westwind28

Visit site
Im thinking is there a yacht trailer hire in the area. Someone with a truck who can trailer the boat on the trailer. That way when it gets to Cardigan they can just back it into the water on high tide as usual . No need for crane, as the boat yard in Pembroke would sling it on the trailer.

westwind28

Visit site
Found someone local. Fully insured. Deals in boat transport, has flatbed with crane. Very fair price, including stepping the mast at the delivery point. Boat will be moved in about a week from now. If all goes okay ill share with you his contact details, as he seems very cooperative and like I said, very fair price.

westwind28

Visit site
Update: Boat was transported this week using a local Boat transporter in West Wales. He went beyond the call of duty and bent over backwards to meet our needs, at no extra cost. He did such a great job we gave him a tip. The cost to transport the boat (40 miles) including lifting on the flatbed, transport, lifting off, stepping the mast, and hooking up the stays was £270.00 (total cost) Good friendly service. If anyone would like more details about this boat transporter just PM me.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
That is a great result. I was looking at a similar exercise in transporting a 31 foot bilge keel a distance of 65 miles and was quoted £1850 and £1680. Ended up with a quote for £450 all inc and that included using the hiab to lower the mast.