Boat transport across France

kaal

Visit site
Hello sailors

I would like to transport my boat back to the UK from the Med by road.

Can anybody recommend a reliable, reasonably priced company to move the boat from the French/Spanish border area, (I am a very flexible in terms of pick-up point) to the Northern French or Brittany coast from where I will sail her back the UK.

She is a 29 foot sailing boat.

Any help will be much appreciated.

DownWest

Visit site
No actual contacts, but, I live near Rochefort and often see the products of the local factories being shipped south on low-loaders. Ergo, there must be a lot of empty return trips which could be useful to you. And some are UK reg trucks. Bit of Googling needed here. If I see something in the next few days I will get back.

Tranona

Visit site
I had my 37 footer from Sant Carles to Poole last June by Simon Butler www.boat-shift.com Best price from about half a dozen quotes, very efficient and careful.

If you are just going to the French north coast you may find one of the big French firms cheaper, but that was not my experience - their price was higher than Simon even including the ferry crossings.

Last edited:

bbg

Visit site
I just got a quote today from these guys.

Quotation by e-mail within less than an hour. I don't know how competitive they are on price - theirs is the first quote I got.

They speak English.

Hayling

Visit site
I brought my 30 fin keeler back from Port Napolean to Cherbourg in 2009.
peters and May arranged it (Luke) but the transport was by Altead Augizeau, france's main transporter, as a return load, about £1,800 I think.
Much cheaper to ship to a french port and sail back!

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Have a word with the CA. They have a deal with a company in Breskens (Netherlands). True you have to sail her from there. Even allowing for a CA sub. if you are not a member, it could be cheaper. Don't know where they collect from in the Med. though.

petitbleu

Visit site
I used Altead Augizeau in 2009 to move my boat from Mediterranean France to Port Crouesty. They were cheaper than two UK quotes that I had even though the UK hauliers do not have to charge VAT on a service that takes place outside UK.

Auzigeau were very efficient, both the drivers and the office personnel.

Whatever you do, do not try loading at La Ciotat.

Hope that that helps

Martin_J

Visit site
I had a quote from AltéAd AUGIZEAU three years ago. 3252 Euros for a 38 foot yacht from Sete to St Malo.

I seem to remember using their website to request the quote and the response was immediate.