Boat Survey

irfenton

Visit site
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1990 Sealine and before I part with my hard earned cash I want to have a pre-purchase survey and an engine report carried out. I've been given the names of 3 surveyors (Ian Burgoyne, Paul Homer, Stuart Burgess) and DB Marine in Cookham for the engine report.
Can anyone recommend any of the above or give me some alternatives? Any help very much appreciated.

miket

Visit site
I always use Ian Burgoyne. Very nice chap and does a good job.
I have heard of Stuart Burgess but have no experience. I personally would not use Paul Homer.
I have also heard mixed reports on DB Marine, but none recently.

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Ian Burgoyne

I'll second the vote for Ian, have had him survey two boats for me now and found him most helpful.

Had a bad experience with Stuart Burgess some time ago and wouldn't go near him personally.

Regards,

Darren.

Edit, Re DB Marine, Had them survey my engines on my latest purchase, Gil seemed to know what he was talking about - taking the boat back to them next weekend for an outdrive service - guess I'll find out what their work is like then.

irfenton

Visit site

Thanks Darren. You're the second person that's recommended Gil at DB Marine so that's really useful to know.
I think i'll also give Ian a call. I'm still pretty much a novice when it comes to boats so having someone helpful to explain things is a very big plus. Paul Homer is being recommended by the Sealine Owners club (for his experience with Sealine's) but it sounds like Mike had a bad experience.

Regards

Ian

DogsBody

Visit site

I always think its worth trying to be there during the survey (particularly so if a novice as you put it), you can ask questions and actually see the points you'll read about in the surveyor's report - helps you decide how important they are.

Ian (as I'm sure most boat surveyors are) is happy to point out and explain his findings during the survey, which should really help your understanding of any points raised.

I've no personal experience of Paul Homer, although MBM use him for all of their reports so I guess he must be pretty good at what he does.

Darren.

theguvnor

Visit site

I'm moored at DB Marine so give us a look in when you arrive - have a coffee or beer. (the Sunfury "the Guvnor"- moored on the bank upstreem)

PS Gill gets boats in from every marina on the river - the owners would go nowhere else.

I've always used him but I would wouldn't I, I see him every day!

CaptainThames

Visit site

Another vote for Gil in particular and DB Marine in general - he did a major rebuild for me on one engine and has helped me out a number of times with good advice and ther odd tweak of a spanner. Be sure of what you expect of the report however and discuss it with whoever does it before hand to be sure that you are satisfied with what they produce and how in depth they go.

pheran

Visit site
I have no first-hand knowledge of Paul Homer but the chap who used to moor next to me was most dis-satisfied. Five or more years ago so perhaps things have changed.

irfenton

Visit site

Thanks for that Michael. On this occasion I'll need Gill to come to the boat (as I haven't bought it yet) but I'll be sure to look out for you next time I'm passing Cookham.
Cheers
Ian