Boat Show

Sandy.

Visit site
I am thinking of visiting the Boat Show by car, coming in from the East. For those of you who know the area does this make sense or will I spend most of the day in a gigantic traffic jam? And if I do make it, is there adequate parking and does it cost the earth?

Or should I let the train take the strain?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

All I can say, if you are driving through London make sure you pay the congestion charge SAME DAY (even though we are already taxed to death trying to drive anywhere........)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
For the same reason, Boycot the new toll motorway. If nobody uses it, then they wont do the same on lots of other roads, which is what they plan at the moment.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
Yes it makes sense.

Yes you will spend the day in a huge traffic jam.

Approaching from the East is the only sensible way to drive to Excel. Driving is the only way to attend a show where you may buy cumbersome equipment.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
I agree else we will eventually end up with each car being fitted with a GPS, then as soon as your car is detected leaving your garage you will be billed. If you go over any speed limit your car will report you, you will then be fined. I recon this is now about 5 - 10 years away.
No doubt it will be said it makes the roads safer, but one thing is sure it is bringing in millions. So I agree lets not play ball, use other roads, lets not buy into more rip offs.

I think I will go and sit on my boat to cool off.

Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Great idea.. and human nature being what it is; we'll all then say "cor look at that loverly empty road. I don't mind paying so I can feel like I'm getting somewhere for 10 minutes!"
Kerr Ching - 1.99 please...

Better still get some French lorry drivers to blockade it. That'll do the trick. Oh no, they're used to tolls aren't they? Oh well pay up - we're doomed!

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

if u are coming from the east then you can use all those lovely new roads around the area. There really shold not be any congestion in the area as the whole area has been regenerated, and improved imensely. Obviously you will not need to pay congestion fees as you will not be going as far as central london. as it is west of the show. ps... don,t for get to leave yer plastic at home.

tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Could I suggest the DLR

Drops you at the spot. If you are expecting to buy lots of toys then park at one of the stations at the eastern end of the line then you will not get too tired carrying the stuff too far.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Why don't we all get together an charter a chinook helicopter - it could drop us off!! Damn it - even that wouldn't be allowed anywhere near London.... So the options:

Helicopter - No
Car - Forget it
Docklands Light Railway - When it works - so no
Hitchhike - what with a wind genny under my arm? Forget it
Sail - hmmmmm is it possible??? but no too damned cold in January

So walking is about the best option... better start now....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mudplugger

Visit site
Sandy, if you drop down the M11 and continue over the junction with the A13, you will pick up signs for Excel, apparently parking for 4500 cars in close vicinity and charge approx £8.50 per day (see PBO & YM) if not park somewhere near the Dockland lt Railway and catch the automated transport to the door.....Tony W

<hr width=100% size=1>Tony W.

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
So the options:

Helicopter - No
Car - Forget it
Docklands Light Railway - When it works - so no
Hitchhike - what with a wind genny under my arm? Forget it
Sail - hmmmmm is it possible??? but no too damned cold in January

So walking is about the best option... better start now....

Tony Hawkes managed to hitchhike around Ireland with a fridge, so I wouldn't rule that one out too quickly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Is the railway that bad, this is my preferred option?

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/movies.html>Dolphin Movie From Top Cat</A>

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
DLR is OK

Unlike some of the posters, it will be the way I get there. Whenever I use it which is often it works. Sure there's the odd stoppage but I find it reliable and timely. Doesn't get stuck in jams either.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sandy.

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Dont think I will helicopter in or arrive by PWC, but may try the roads. That way I can get all my goodies into the back of the car.
Thanks again.
Sandy

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
DLR is pretty reliable. I use it daily.. much better than the central or northern line for example. In 8 months I have only had to us an alternative route home once when they were doing that protest against the arms fair and protestors were buggering around on the line.

As for roads, whoever said you should have no problems has spent too long in his bilges breathing fumes. Heading west into London on the A13 can take an hour. One Saturday evening it took us 2 hours from M25 to Limehouse and most of teh delay was in the first part. There was no reason for it -- not accidents or events, just two many cars.

The come by boat solution is a good one though.. Gallions Point is cheap and usually not full. Limehouse is great, but quite full at the moment. Not sure about direct access to Excel by boat.. but it sounds like a good plan to me... as for the cold.. get a pilot house.. *grin*

<hr width=100% size=1>