Boat show in September - WHY!!

jrudge

Visit site
So another boat show and another wall of water.

First weekend is forecast for rain and gales so the lovely lady on the BBC tells me.

The shows are all in decline - and are outdoors - why oh why do they not hold them in the summer / start of the season.

And the London boat show wonders why their attendance is falling - you are selling the sunshine dream in the snow.

The link between the sun comes out and you sell more boats / convertible cars / outdoor furniture / suncream is not rocket science but seems lost on the boat show grandees.

gjgm

Visit site

First weekend is forecast for rain and gales so the lovely lady on the BBC tells me.

The shows are all in decline - and are outdoors - why oh why do they not hold them in the summer / start of the season.

And the London boat show wonders why their attendance is falling - you are selling the sunshine dream in the snow.

The link between the sun comes out and you sell more boats / convertible cars / outdoor furniture / suncream is not rocket science but seems lost on the boat show grandees.
Not at all. Uk boaters seem to want their boats to protect them from anything to do with the outside , so this sounds like perfect demo weather. Bring on the f/bridges and soft/hardtops.
If you are after a rib, a bit of rain isnt going to matter.
All sailors will be in full foul weather gear as normal, so all sounds ready to roll, surely?

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Because in the summer people are away using their boats, abroad on holiday with the family, rolling around in muddy fields listening to musicians and all the staff who would man the stands are also away on holiday.

September can be a bit hit & miss but generally we get by. There are indoor areas to the show and most exhibitors make provision for rain. The site is pretty much all hard standing as well.

I think September works well, plenty of time to make plans for next year.

Henry :)

maby

Visit site
We've gone to the Southampton show every year for the last several and I don't remember the last time the weather was noticeably bad. The last couple of years, it was tending to uncomfortably hot.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie

Personally I think Sept is a good time for an outdoor show. It's usually been warm and dry any time we've been to SIBS. The show that makes no sense is LIBS indoors during winter when nobody is in boating mode and straight after Christmas when "buying" mode is not at it's most unrestrained. The UK would probably be better with one show a year either SIBS in Sept or SIBS in May. May probably best as its start of season and half decent weather. Jan in a vast shed in the middle of nowhere makes little sense.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I went yesterday and the forecast was wrong, it was dry from 11.30 onwards.

The show is in September because its primary aim is to sell new boats, and the end of the season is when people think about ordering a new boat for next year. It's also a good time because the school holidays have finished so most people aren't still away, and it's early enough to still be warm. I can't think of a better time.

andyc

Visit site
Many a time we have ended up mildly pink and besides it rains all year in the UK.September is usually mild and sunny. Always warm enough for shorts.