boat required for filming

Little Five

Visit site
Hello all

I am working on a film in Scotland, a remake of Whisky Galore, and I am trying to locate a seaworthy ships rowing lifeboat no longer than 20 feet. complete with oars, no engine.
The film is set in 1941 and the boat would need to travel to Glasgow for 1 days filming only end of 1st week in septwember.. It would need to be in an original condition, ie no modern added pieces unless they were removable leaving no evidence of their presence
Can anyone help or steer me in the right direction. PM me if you wish.
Many thanks
Jerry

Little Five

Visit site
Coo. Is that the one there were all the rows about (Ricky Gervais as Captain Waggett, iirc) or has another one arisen?

Yes it is. Long memory there JD, that was reported in the papers in 2006.
Do your grey cells remember any double ender ships lifeboats anywhere?
Jerry

Romeo

Visit site
Hello all

I am working on a film in Scotland, a remake of Whisky Galore, and I am trying to locate a seaworthy ships rowing lifeboat no longer than 20 feet. complete with oars, no engine.
The film is set in 1941 and the boat would need to travel to Glasgow for 1 days filming only end of 1st week in septwember.. It would need to be in an original condition, ie no modern added pieces unless they were removable leaving no evidence of their presence
Can anyone help or steer me in the right direction. PM me if you wish.
Many thanks
Jerry

Your best bet for a boat in Glasgow might be to get in touch with Gal Gael: http://www.galgael.org/ Ask to speak to Ben, who is the boat builder there. Or you might be able to borrow something suitable from Royal West of Scotland Boat Club (Greenock) who have a few clinker built rowing boats.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yes it is. Long memory there JD, that was reported in the papers in 2006.
Do your grey cells remember any double ender ships lifeboats anywhere?

I came across it recently while googling cast names after watching the original.

There's a double ended lifeboat from the Arandora Star on the beach of Erraid, but there isn't much left I'm afraid ... just a few timbers and the lifting hooks. Have you tried the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine? The McGrouther brothers at Kilcreggan used an old lifeboat for laying moorings - perhaps the current owners of the yard would know if it's still around somewhere, but I suspect not.

Last edited: