Boat Registration what’s the point ?

Quint

Visit site
Moored on the tidal Thames below Teddington Lock ( where there is no registration fee charged ) I have just received my second reminder from the environment agency to pay my £603 registration fee.f the privilege of taking my boat on to the Upper Thames ! as the first reminder came in December and now another reminder in February and I probably won’t be able because of the weather to get onto the upper Thames until April or May at the earliest what’s the big rush? And when I am on the upper Thames, it seems half the boats that I see especially narrowboats that are moored Don’t seem to have a name to register with anyway ! So my question is what is the point of parting with my money until I can actually get on to the Upper Thames and why am I paying for a years registration when I will probably only be able to use the river for six or seven months, max 🤔

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
EA jurisdiction and Thames Conservancy Act 1932 extends downstream of Teddington Lock to the stone marking the boundary with PLA.
If your mooring is upstream of the marker then you’re technically on EA Thames waterway and therefore liable for the registration fee. Ask Howard in the chandlery to give you the full monty.

oldgit

Visit site
We frequently go above the lock on the Medway.
The EA staff frequently suggest that we purchased a yearly licence.Even if we buy several separate 7 day licences "cheaper than buying 2 day passes" it still costs less than the yearly ticket.
The fly in the ointment is the "free" 10 days on the Thames with the yearly ticket.