Boat Market

boatmike

Visit site
I have been looking at selling my Aquastar 33 and going back to a sailing catamaran. Have not put her on the market yet but most of the boats I have been looking at for the last 6 months don't seem to have moved. I am thinking that the current state of the economy, rising prices, etc has caused a real slow down in sales of boats generally. some boats are optimistically priced of course but there are some nice looking boats out there at realistic prices that don't seem to be moving at all? Is it just me or has the market slowed to a halt?

Tranona

Visit site
Pretty much right. It will take a while for asking prices to re-align with actually selling prices (that is drop!) and for sellers to respond positively to offers. In a falling market difficult to time your sale and purchase so you pay too high a price and accept too low a price. Best perhaps to sell and then re-assess, although supply of the sort of boat you are looking for is limited.

boatmike

Visit site
Pretty much right. It will take a while for asking prices to re-align with actually selling prices (that is drop!) and for sellers to respond positively to offers. In a falling market difficult to time your sale and purchase so you pay too high a price and accept too low a price. Best perhaps to sell and then re-assess, although supply of the sort of boat you are looking for is limited.
Yes I agree. Will put mine up for sale at a reasonable price and see what happens. Also true that there aren't too many decent cats around second hand. That's not new though. Most cat sailors don't go back to monohulls and tend to hang on to them. I only bought the Aquastar because SWMBO wanted to do the French canals. Now thats done and dusted I want my cat back!

oldgit

Visit site
Two clean well priced motor boats on our moorings sold within days.
A couple of nice craft with very optimistic prices indeed plus a few rather more "tired" vessels have all been languishing on our local broker lists for months.

j24jam

Visit site
Well presented and well priced boats are selling quickly again, now winter is finally over. Ive taken 5 deposits on boats this week, all listed in the past month.

Still plenty of overpriced boats on the market still dreaming of covid pricing. Some have got realistic and buyers are snapping them up.

Sadlerfin

Visit site
Well presented and well priced boats are selling quickly again, now winter is finally over. Ive taken 5 deposits on boats this week, all listed in the past month.

Still plenty of overpriced boats on the market still dreaming of covid pricing. Some have got realistic and buyers are snapping them up.
Are you a broker?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I've been watching the market for a couple of years, and prices are coming down, all the notifications and searches I set kept popping up with price reductions as owners tried to shift boats. Many were still selling though if the condition was good. I bought the boat in post #4 and it was the cheapest advertised price for one of these of the seven or so I've seen come and go. Barring any disasters it should be mine after survey and final payment.

Frogmogman

Visit site
My mate sold his Malo 43 almost immediately for the full asking price in March. I don’t think the Malo dealer in Lymington even got around to listing it.

nevis768

Visit site
I went to look at a boat on the Clyde last week, which turned out to require a lot of work, and had a very optimistic price and had been for sale for 12 months. The broker was quite sensible and had advised the owner to drop the price, which he refused to do. The broker's view was that the market was very slow.

mrming

instagram.com
Imo, slowing further, but the exception is still well priced, 32 foot + boats with good accommodation, in top condition. I've seen a number of these shift very quickly over the last couple of months. I only follow the market up to £100k GBP, so don't know much about what's happening above that level.