Boat interior lights

G

I would use neon lights. You can buy them cheap from a caravan shop or at some B & Q outlets. Take a couple of spare bulbs but you will not need them for 2 or 3 years. Otherwise use halogen and take some spare bulbs

G

I recently bought some 24V fluorescent strip lights from 'Labcraft' in Essex. They do a whole range of 12 & 24V lighting sytems, both Halogen and fluorescent.

Halogen certainly look nice, but do generate a lot of heat and you need a few of them to give an even distribution. The life of Halogen bulbs is not that high but generally available for domestic low voltage lighting, in many places. On the other hand fluorescent strip lights last for years, keep cool, pretty effecient and give an even light distribution.- So the choice is yours. Anyway try Labcraft on www.labcraft.co.uk- good luck

G

I’m currently rewiring my boat with a view to long distance cruising. My question is on what interior lights to fit halogen or “ordinary” bulbed lights. Any hints on what to fit, against the following points. Power consumption, availability of spare bulbs in remote corners, life of the bulbs, can you convert a halogen to ordinary bulb or vice versa, are halogen bulb fittings standard for different manufactures, or anything thing else I’ve forgotten Thanks for any comments

Peter

G

light emitting diodes

Everlight (Taiwan) manufacture strong (spot)light emitting diodes @ £2 each. Datasheet at this url http://www.elfa.se/pdf/75/07500010.pdf

0,03 amps @ 12V will provide 4 small spots for night use, and they "never" wear out. To protect the diopdes you need a series transistor(preferred) or resistor.

G

Find the nearest and largest caravan store and look at that lot ..... you will find that 99% is 'universal' and shouldn't be a problem abroad. You can get directional spots, flourescent tubes, neons, 'car bulb' types ..... etc. etc. and at good prices. Generally you will find the assistants more helpful than your average 'Yot-Shop' type !

Honestly - take a trip and look .....

I use 'old-style' hooded wall lights - 12V car bulbs, caravan 10" flourescents - 12V tubes, and in cockpit I fitted a car reversing light from Halfords ..... which uses a 'car' festoon bulb - for sitting out in the marina etc.

G

Fluorescent tubes for general cabin lighting - minimum 13watt rating for a good working light for eg the galley. 8 watt tubes is only suitable for low level general illumination.

Halogen for 'spot' reading lights, chart work etc because they give more light for less power - 5 watts halogen giving more light than a 10 w 'car' type. Yes they do run hotter, and must have a protective cover over the bulb because a) they can shatter (tho I've never had one go), and b) they are hot enough to give a nasty burn if touched, and c) because of the heat, touching the glass bulb can cause premature failure. They should normally only be used in fittings designed to take the extra heat, although I am told the 'double envelope' type which interchanges with conventional car type bulbs is OK, although pricey!

G

and don\'t forget ...

... the odd red light (galley, chart table) for use on night watches. My boat had them when I bought it (not new) and they really are great - soft enough to sleep with - bright enough to get up & dressed, brew etc etc without destroying precious night vision.

G

I use caravan eye ball spots ( like aircraft o/h lights) use standard car bulbs universaly available. Half the price of yot shop. Try Enfield liesure or Rainbow conversions ( dont have a contact but they are suppliers of motor home conversions)