Boat insurer companies and their clause !!!!

G

Trying to insure a new boat today to keep at home on a trailer and travel around so we want cover for trailer, boat, launching, trailer unattended, coastal and inland cruising. Went with Haven our previous company and were told premium[ a bit more than I expected] But the sppedboat clause made me laugh.. if the boat was left for more than 3 hours unattended anywhere other than a marina pontoon on the coast then the insurance becomes invalid. This includes places like Poole town quay etc as I gave this to him as an example!!! A ploy I think to stop us ladies shopping too long and you men drinking in the local watering hole for too long! Expressing my disbelief phone St Margarets and get same cover for about same price and this time we can leave the boat unattended on any purpose mooring including harbour buoys ,pontoon ,town quay walls. She can be left unattended at anchor as long as we can still see her but not if you go out of sight. Then phoned Trafford Group and got cover except this time cannot leave boat on exposed water unattended and £2,000 damage cover on outdrives Best thing £100 per year cheaper. Anyone else had same experiences or dealt with any of these companies. Views gratefully received Another thing today asked 2 local inland marinas who have slipways about launching boat..one you can launch but they wont let you move the boat within marina confines because of insurance and the slip is furthest away from exit onto river!!! and the other said a definate no as it was too much hassel to let anyone use the slipway!!! Helpful marina management I think!! Cindy

G

Try dropping an email to mhaley@aylesbury.ac.uk He runs the brokerage for the Oxford Ditch cruising Club. Get his phone number, talk to him, he will fix it for you. He runs the brokerage on behalf of the club and as a sort of hobby.

G

Had the same kind of problems for my boat ended up going with GJW Direct. No problems with any of the above as long as the boat was over 25ft, 2 days later and a bolt on bathing platform and everythings ok!!

G

Thanks for info but unfortunately have just bought a Sealine 218 and the fibreglass platform is already on there,so cannot go downthat line. Although suppose we could put an extension piece on.!! Will keep trying others although Trafford is looking a possibility Cindy

G

Try http://www.mardon.co.uk/

I started there because of the Fletcher link, have had 17' & 21' trailed / kept afloat in marina boats for the last 5 years with service and terms seeming fair and always 1 step ahead of regulations eg. required TP cover etc. Went to the market on new 7.8m 'keep afloat' boat ad have ended up back there - same insurer (slightly ammended terms 'cos not a trail boat - until I get bored with Poole) because the basic terms look the most balanced. Thik it's Royal & Sun Alliance policy.

Good on admin for things like Spanish translations / overseas 30days etc Can't comment on claims service though!

Welcome to trailing (again)!

G

Mines with GJW and just under 25ft with no problems, so what are you refering to regarding the 25ft restriction?

RM.

G

Mainly the underwater damage clause.Stainless duoprops are not cheap and they would not cover them for colision damage on a boat less than 25ft.